First Attempt at Recipe - Rye Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingy

Reaction score
After trying a great Rye Pale Ale at my LHBS, I got inspired to try my hand at designing a recipe for one. It's my first attempt at this, so be gentle... any feedback is much appreciated.

I'm looking for something easy drinking with nice hop and rye character, but nothing over the top on either. ABV should be reasonable - I'm stuck studying most evenings so I'd like to be able to drink one with dinner and not be out of commission for the rest of the night...

Style: American Pale Ale (10A)
Batch size: 5.5 gal

Grain Bill
8# 2-row (US)
3# Rye malt
0.5# Honey malt

Hops (all pellet)
60 min - 0.75 oz Centennial (10%aa)
30 min - 0.25 oz Centennial (10%aa)
15 min - 0.5 oz Cascade (5.5%aa)
15 min - 0.5 oz Amarillo (8.5%aa)
0 min - 0.5 oz Cascade (5.5%aa)
0 min - 0.5 oz Amarillo (8.5%aa)
Dry hop 7 days - 1 oz Amarillo (8.5%aa)

Mash: Single infusion at 152 deg F, double batch sparge
Preboil volume: ~7.5 gal
Postboil volume: ~6 gal

Ferment with Wyeast 1056, ~66 deg F, primary for 21 days.

Technicals from Beersmith
OG: 1.046
FG: 1.011
ABV: 5.0%
IBU: 40

How's this looking? Any suggestions for improvement? I'm still up in the air about switching out the Honey Malt for something with a little more color/flavor - maybe Crystal 40L? Will the hops go well together? (I still know next to nothing about the best hops for a pale ale... just know that I really like both Cascade and Amarillo).

Thanks for the advice!

Your recipe looks pretty good. maybe a little heavy on the rye. The hops look good. Not sure of the honey malt. I have never used it but I hear a little goes a long way.

I do a Rye PA that is pretty good....
2-row, 20% rye, 10% Munich and 5% C40. I hop with Cascade and Amarillo. I use 1272 or 1450. I shoot for an OG of about. 1.060 and IBU's about 40-45.

Thanks - would backing the rye down to 2.5# and replacing with 2-row be enough or should I go down to 2#?

Latest posts

Back