Fermentables in honey - experience?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobWalker

Reaction score
I've used 500g of burnt honey in a gallon recipe (rocket fuel,) and it appears to be stuck at around 1.005, whereas i'm used to cider fermenting out at around 0.996 without honey - i'm still monitoring gravity with no apparent change, so should I accept that this may not ferment any further? It's cool if it's this sweet - in fact it's better!

It's also having trouble settling out, why would this be? I don't like to seem impatient, but gravity hasn't moved for a fair while!

I've used 500g of burnt honey in a gallon recipe (rocket fuel,) and it appears to be stuck at around 1.005, whereas i'm used to cider fermenting out at around 0.996 without honey - i'm still monitoring gravity with no apparent change, so should I accept that this may not ferment any further? It's cool if it's this sweet - in fact it's better!

It's also having trouble settling out, why would this be? I don't like to seem impatient, but gravity hasn't moved for a fair while!

the fact the the honey was "burnt" may have changed the make up and the fermentablity of the honey, if you had just used pure unburnt honey i would say expect 1.000 or so.

You might want to post the recipe itself.

I have never had a beer go below 1.005 that I recall even with honey. I do have wines and meads go to 0.995. Grains have non-fermentables and will keep the gravity above 1.000 in most cases., but honey is all sugar, just barfed up by bees, and should ferment out.

If I am wrong I will corrected.

You might want to post the recipe itself.

I have never had a beer go below 1.005 that I recall even with honey. I do have wines and meads go to 0.995. Grains have non-fermentables and will keep the gravity above 1.000 in most cases., but honey is all sugar, just barfed up by bees, and should ferment out.

If I am wrong I will corrected.

You are Correct, my only concern is the fact that the honey was "Burnt" which could have created some non-fermentable matter in the honey.

Maybe if you burnt the honey into a mass of carbon. I bet caramelized honey still can be fermented. I have caramelized sugar to make mead and it fermented below 1.000. Did you have grains in your recipe?

Maybe if you burnt the honey into a mass of carbon. I bet caramelized honey still can be fermented. I have caramelized sugar to make mead and it fermented below 1.000. Did you have grains in your recipe?

Caramelizing if i am correct in and of itself does create some unfermentables. Then again i have never tried to ferment Just caramel lol

Found this knocking about by searching - it's for crystal malt, but might still apply.

There are still plenty of reducing sugars released to react with the primary amines in Maillard reactions to form the reductones, furans, pyrroles, pyrazines and countless intermediates that provide the characteristic flavors and colors to crystal and caramel malts. Once caramelized, these sugars are no longer sugars, and so are not fermentable by yeast.

Recipe here;

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/toffee-apple-cider-252096/

Note this is a Cider like I said in the first post, so the only fermentables are apple juice and burnt honey. there was a fair bit of carbon going on in the pan so you never know!

It sounds awesome! I am going to make a batch now! I wasn't sure if was a cider or if you had some grains in it.

Sounds like then with carbon in the pan you have have some non-fermentables and reached the the final gravity.

I'm putting another on tomorrow as I have the day off. Had a taste about an hour ago (still cloudy) and it really is fantastic. mmm :)

Thanks for the help - I am going to give it time anyway, but it's good to know that there's likely to be non-fermentables in here so I can rest easy. Thanks! :)

Back