Upping the ABV on my AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILOVEBEER

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a friend who has been brewing for years with Sabco stuff. He makes 10 gallon batches on a regular basis.

I have had some of his beers that THREW me for a loop because of the high alcohol content. I am talking in the 12-14%.

I asked him how. He explains that during the boil in the BK he adds 5 lbs of RICE sugar to the boil. This obviously gives the yeast (that he oxygenates) alot to eat. His beer normally ferments for up to 2 weeks and is still going off in the fermenter into the 10th day.

He explains that the rice sugar does not change the flavor or texture of the beer. I can tell you its no BS...he makes great repeated batches.

Anyone heard of this?

I have looked for rice sugar and all I ever find is corn sugar....maybe I misunderstood?

Yep...rice syrup is a common ingredient in many light styles of beer. Its pretty much in all of the mass produced light lagers (bud, miller, coors).

Yeah, rice is a major component to Budweiser. It's generally used to lighten the flavor and body of a beer.

Rice sugar is just highly fermentable sugar that leaves little in the way of residuals that affect flavor or sweetness. As far as I know, it's not going to be any different from adding corn sugar or even table sugar. It'll boost gravity & alcohol but also dry the beer out some.

It's not something I'd personally do all that often (though it has its place for certain kinds of beers). But if all you really want is strong alcohol, you can just buy cheap vodka and drink it straight add it to your brew, I guess.

Unless you don't really like vodka and rather have beer...

Vodka is a clean spirit. What do you think you're adding by dumping in sugar?

Broadbill, corn is also very common, so I wouldn't say they pretty much all use rice.

Ok sounds good....as for vodka.....YUCK!

I am not good at hard liquor. I did find rice syrup but I guess I was looking for powder form.

Thanks

Ok sounds good....as for vodka.....YUCK!

I am not good at hard liquor. I did find rice syrup but I guess I was looking for powder form.

Thanks

Functionally, grain alcohol (which is close to what vodka is) is what you get from fermenting simple sugars like rice sugar, corn sugar, or table sugar. No extra flavor agents or contributors to mouthfeel in any of these.

You can also just use more malt in your recipe, up to as much will fit in your mash tun of course. If you're really trying to push the limits of yeast though, the best method I know of is progressive feeding. Wait until the yeast knocks out most of the maltose, then dose with a pound of sugar a day.

Ohhhhhh Nelly.....I like a 6-8% beer....I will try and make a super high alcohol beer one day. Thanks for all the replies guys!

A very good vodka would not add flavor. Most that would be reasonably priced as to add to beer are not very pure and would add a lot more flavor than fermenting. In cheap vodka you would be adding concentrated impurities and alcohol.

Latest posts

Back