two newbie questions!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohill1981

Reaction score
1.My beer kit tells me not to add yeast until the wort is below 90 degrees. I have heard all over the internet not to add until between 70 -80.... I was wondering which temperature i should stick with?

2. My instructions also say that the fermentation will begin within 24 hours of adding the yeast... and it will continue to ferment for the next 48 -72 hours. Stating when the bubbling ceases in the airlock allow the beer to settle for 3-4 more days before bottling.... My question is when do i move my beer into my bottling bucket? after fermentation ceases? or do i allow my beer to settle in the bottling bucket?

i would pitch aroud 70-80 deg..

as for fermentation you can use the 1-2-3 methood 1 week in primary 2 weeks in secondary 3 weeks in bottle..

after my first batch i will use the 3-3 methood 3 weeks in primary 3 weeks in bottle...

imo.. i would let it sit atleast 3 weeks in primary.. i belive you will get better beer resaults...

good luck

I concur with beerboy. The 3,2,1, method is a good way to fall. The trick with HB (Home Brew) is to build up a bit of a stock to allow for maturation.
...oh and go buy some more equipment!

I've found that instructions are pretty "default" and made easy for people that don't really care about GOOD beer.

My first brew had instructions telling me to bottle after like 10 days in a carboy.

Pitch yeast when under 80 (75 is MUCH better)and I go with 2-1-3. 2 weeks primary - 1 week secondary 3 weeks bottle. and REALLY it should be 2-1-6.

I am inclined to agree with Grinder more or less. A couple of weeks in primary followed by a couple of weeks in secondary seems to deliver the best results for me. If you don't have the means to secondary, then leave the beer in primary three to four weeks before bottling. Remember, time is your friend. Beer gets better with time in almost all cases, so don't be too eager to crack the cap on one after only one or two weeks in the bottle. Give it time to mature and condition a little.
So, either 2-2-3 with secondary, or 4-3 without.
I always try to pitch my yeast under 70 and allow to come up to temp. The yeast tend to do better than pitching warm and allowing them to cool. I also ferment in the mid to high 60's.

Latest posts

Back