Do I Need a Grain Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chipsah

Off the Wagon Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been AG brewing for about two years now, but I have always depended on the LHBS to mill for me. I've got my new system in place and am happily operating again after a 6 month hiatus. Before Christmas, my mother asked me if there was anything I needed for my brewery, and I honestly couldn't think of anything outside of money to buy ingredients. Am I missing out by not milling my own grain? I mean, I've bought plenty of things I didn't need (e.g. Blichmann Tower of Power - OK, I love it). However, I have always balked at buying a mill because they have one right there at the LHBS. Please convince me that this should be my next purchase... and while you are at it, tell me which one to get because I am a helluva lemming right now at 2AM.

I got one about a year ago. Best thing I ever did. I usually order grain online and I was getting mixed results with my crushes. The last straw was when I got an entire order uncrushed and had to do it with a rolling pin. My OG was awful. I have the Barley Crusher. I'm pretty happy with it, but it's gotten bad press as far as customer service goes lately. I can't comment on that.

My LHBS is awesome and also mills my grain I dont really see the point of getting one if your place is happy to do it for you. Plus I usually pick the owners brain about what im brewing while he does it.

Well there's a few benefits to milling your own grain. You can buy in bulk and save lots of money, you use freshly milled grain to brew with, and depending on how fine the crush is at your LHBS you could get better efficiency.
My last batch I had sent pre milled instead of milling it myself and only got 60% efficiency compared to my normal 75%. So in a way getting better efficiency saves money on grain too. I think it's worth it, just make sure its a kind you can chuck a drill to. Hand milling 20#s of barley sucks.

You are obviously a control guy from your description.. and dressed in green spandex.

Owning a mill simply takes one of the major factors about our brewing (the crush), out of the hands of others and pays for itself with some planning.

I hit 80-82% efficiency every time, never have a stuck sparge, and buy in bulk. Without owning a mill, this would be more difficult or impossible.

In my case, it costs me about $30 in traveling expenses to visit the HBS and I brew about once every other week.
Without a grain mill, I would have to visit the HBS about once per month and buy malt by the pound (or 10 lb) bag. This would cost me about $45 per month just for grain.
Alternatively, I could order on line, which would cost me about $43 per month.
With the grain mill, I visit the HBS about once every 6 months and it costs me about $120 for grain, and $30 for traveling = $26 per month, saving me $17 per month. The mill has paid for itself many times over.

-a.

The only reason I have my own mill is because my LHBS had really crappy mills and the resulting crush was seriously reducing my efficiency. If your local shop's mill is crushing well, then stick with it. My old shop in Tallahassee did a great job. My local shop's crush dropped my formerly consistent 80 to 82% extraction efficiency down into the low 70's.

Another plus is that I get to buy my base malt by the sack.

I usually have 150lb of basemalt on hand...@ $35 a sack vs 55 a sack at lhbs the mill has paid for itself a ton.

Mill is one of best investments I made.
Not only that I don't have to pay for milling in my LHBS but it gives me more flexibility in brew process and I can crush it tighter that LHBS would.

I am using MM2 and so far I am very satisfied.

I agree with most everyone here. A huge benefit is buying unmilled grain my the sack. It saves a ton of money in the long run instead of buying a few pounds here and there. You can save even more if you get in on group buys where a group of people split 2 pallets of grain. My lhbs is an hour away, so on top of gas money maris otter for example is almost 80.00 for a sack. I just got in on a group buy for the same brand (plus a few more sacks of other grain) for just under 40.00. I have already paid for the barley crusher for the savings.

I just like to say "No thanks, I have my own mill." When they ask if I need it crushed! And yes you should get one and buy grain in bulk if you have the space.

I just received a barley crusher from Santa. Haven't used it yet though but excited about crushing myself. Do you guys leave out some stuff like flaked wheat and oats or just crush everything?

I'm a fan of my Monster Mill. I control the milling, and like others stated you can by in bulk and store for an extended time without worry.

To get my MM2, you'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands! lol

pb

Do you guys leave out some stuff like flaked wheat and oats or just crush everything?

You don't need to crush flaked wheat or oats but I run it through anyway just for the hell of it. Never has caused any problems, not once.

@OP - go ahead and get the mill, it's also one of the best purchases I ever made for brewing. I however order online so the crush was sooo wildly inconsistent. Also, with wheat the mill gap needs to be set tighter and the online HBS' I ordered from never crushed them finer resulting in far less efficiency with wheat beers. I now tighten my mill gap tighter for wheat and now all of the beers I make across the board (with the exception of pumpkin due to the mush in the mash) come out at 81% efficiency on the nose.

What efficiencies are you getting with your LHBS crush?

Rev.

I don't think a mill is necessary, if you are happy with your results, but I don't think you'll be disappointed either. I've really latched on to the conditioning method, then milling the grains, so having my own mill makes that process a whole lot easier and convenient. It's one of those things I questioned doing over and over, until I finally bought it. I can't imagine not having a mill now.

You know you want one...You WON'T be sorry. And as Clonefan94 mentioned,.....Malt conditioning....It works great.

I'm a fan of my Monster Mill. I control the milling, and like others stated you can by in bulk and store for an extended time without worry.

To get my MM2, you'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands! lol

pb

MM2-2.0 with hardened rollers here... Had a BC before, sold it to get the MM2-2.0... :D Haven't regretted it for a nanosecond. Get in on group grain buys and your cost per pound of grain gets to really low levels (compared with most LHBS and online vendors). Being able to tweak the crush size has additional benefits (customize the crush to get the most from it in your system).

IMO you won't regret getting a quality mill. You only need to decide which mill (and options) is the right one for you.

You're taunting him to the milling side!

You forgot to call him, "Luke", And you need that Darth Vader voice! LOL

pb

The monster is calling... The monster is calling... The monster is calling... The monster is calling... The monster is calling... The monster is calling... The monster is calling... The monster is calling!!! :eek:

Monster Mill that is. :rockin: :D

I just picked up a barley crusher the other day. Mainly, so I can get in on the random group buys that pop up. Well, that and I needed another project... :)

I purchased a Barley Crusher. It works well. You would also do well with other brands. The Barley Crusher was one of the first All Grain pieces of equipment that I purchased. I bought it so that I could get better grain prices by buying in bulk. I usually have about 100 lbs of base grain on hand. I usually buy my specialty grains from the LHBS as I plan my brews (but that is 45 miles away). Any way, I have not regretted buying a mill. It makes things much easier.

Mark

I am in the process of making my own roller mill (I have the tools and redneck know how so why not?) because when I buy different sized grain like rye (smaller) the lbhs does not adjust the gap going from one grain to the other. A real pain so to avoid the conflict and get all the bennies already mentioned, I will mill my own. If you have the ability to get a mill I say go for it!

I always crushed my grain at the LHBS, but hated waiting in line. Over time, the mill started to breakdown and the quality of the crush deteriorated. My efficency suffered greatly. I decided to purchase my own mill, a Barley Crusher, and couldn't be happier with the results. Other have posted a number of reasons to buy your own mill... all valid. Just do it... you won't regret it.

Back