hoegaarden (my homebrew better?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flucky07

Reaction score
I made a belgian white as my first beer that i did. Im sure i made some mistakes but when i tasted it when bottling (of course not carbed) it had more flavor and body than the actual commercial hoegaarden. (I have a case of hoegaarden) Is this possible, that i can make a BETTER beer than they can, as a clone???

ERic

If it wasn't possible, what would be the point? ;)

It sure is fun to brew it up, but if the ultimate goal is just to duplicate commercial beers, I'd just buy commercial examples and save the time and effort :)

Congrats on a good brew. I'm still waiting on my first batch that really, really impresses me.

Fatabbot said:
If it wasn't possible, what would be the point? ;)

It sure is fun to brew it up, but if the ultimate goal is just to duplicate commercial beers, I'd just buy commercial examples and save the time and effort :)

Congrats on a good brew. I'm still waiting on my first batch that really, really impresses me.
Easy man lol...i am doing commercial beers as my first couple until i get the process down and then going to be creating my own blends. But i want to get the whole process and stuff down before i go playing. I love doing it its so much fun and im brewing this weekend just because i love it...

and the best part yet is that the commercial hoegaarden had yeast at the bottle of the bottle too. but they created a marketing scheme and said to leave a little beer in the bottle and swirl it to give it head. HAHAHA yea right its to get rid of the yeast on the bottom so people dont freak out...

Technically, no. :( If it has more body and flavor, it isn't a true clone.

Just a better beer! :mug:

I wasn't ragging on ya. ;)

Clones are fine as they will hardly ever taste EXACTLY like the target beer.

I was more making a point that part of the purpose of homebrewing should be to make beer that is better and more distinct than what you can buy in your store.

I have done a clone, and it helped me decipher the different flavors and allowed me to see kind of what I was doing wrong.

Brew on :)

Fatabbot said:
I wasn't ragging on ya. ;)

Clones are fine as they will hardly ever taste EXACTLY like the target beer.

I was more making a point that part of the purpose of homebrewing should be to make beer that is better and more distinct than what you can buy in your store.

I have done a clone, and it helped me decipher the different flavors and allowed me to see kind of what I was doing wrong.

Brew on :)
I know i was just messing...i think im going to do a pumpin spice ale next...should be interesting...

Flucky07 said:
and the best part yet is that the commercial hoegaarden had yeast at the bottle of the bottle too. but they created a marketing scheme and said to leave a little beer in the bottle and swirl it to give it head. HAHAHA yea right its to get rid of the yeast on the bottom so people dont freak out...

I don't think so. From what I've read on here and elsewhere, being served with the yeast is part of the distinctive flavour of some wheat beers.

Shambolic said:
I don't think so. From what I've read on here and elsewhere, being served with the yeast is part of the distinctive flavour of some wheat beers.
I understand thats true but if people knew they were "swirling" the yeast up they wouldnt drink it...So they say to create a head on the beer...Great job by the mktg group...:mug:

I think most people who drink Hoegaarden are aware they're drinking the yeast. Your typical Hoegaarden drinker is probably a little more sophisticated than the average beer drinker.

Back