Red Velvet Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingBrianI

Reaction score
After having Southern Tier's Pumpking and Creme Brulee beers recently, I've decided I would like to brew a similar dessert-style beer. It was also apparent that the only way to get the strong flavors found in those beers, I'd need to use flavor extracts. I found this website and seeing all the flavorants really got the gears spinning in my head.

A while back I had considered making a red velvet cake inspired beer, but I couldn't figure out how I would get the cream cheese frosting flavor into the beer so decided to brew a pecan pie beer instead. But at the above-linked website, cream cheese flavoring is offered! Now I've got no excuse, I've gotta brew the beer.

So I'm thinking that I want a deep red beer that will pour with a creamy white head, just like the cake and frosting. Flavor will be sweet with very little bitterness and will feature cocoa, vanilla, cream cheese and "cake" flavors. Mouthfeel will be thick and creamy with low-moderate carbonation. I'll aim for 8-9% ABV, mash in the upper 150s, and add lactose and the artificial flavors at bottling/kegging. Recipe will probably be a US 2-row base with a good amount of cara Red for color and sweetness, and a little bit of carafe dehusked malt to darken it up and give it a little cocoa flavor. May add cocoa to the boil or may just use chocolate extract. I'd like it to ferment out very cleanly so may go with wyeast1056 or maybe denny's 50. Should be good if I can pull it off. I think the hardest part will be adding the extracts in the right amounts.

It should be a fun beer. I've also thought about the following beers too, maybe as part of a dessert beer series I do or something.

Peanut Butter/Chocolate Stout
Butter Rum Ale
German Chocolate Cake (Coconut, nut, chocolate flavorings)
Pecan Pie (maybe second time is a charm?)

Cream cheese icing would be hard to reproduce in beer If you can do it I am all for it. I love velvet cake. My grandmother and mother made it. And I would love a drinkable recipe.

KingBrian- your recipes are right up my alley, and I also enjoy the over-the-top Southern Tier selections.
Definitely looking forward to hear how this one comes out: as a recipe overall and specifically how the extracts/flavorings from the Spice Barn turn out. It's amazing how many flavors they have! (I have my eye on their hazelnut for a potential Rogue Hazelnut Nectar clone)

Good luck!

If you have a specialty grain/extract recipe I'm all for it!

This sounds like an awesome experiement, and I'll go along for the ride if I can find a recipe to mimic your all grain. :rockin:

Back