Bottler Beware!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FermentingFreak

Reaction score
I'm relatively new to brewing but wanted to share an bottle-related experience. Not sure if this should be placed in the Beginners Forum (as it could be useful to them as well) but wanted to at least put it here.

In October, I inherited about a 90 real, green, Grolsch swing-top bottles from a friend when he switched to kegging. I typically soak them overnight in Oxyclean the night, rinse, and sanitize them all just before I filled them. Having become immediately addicted to this hobby, I quickly filled all of the these bottles and sought to purchase more. I purchased several cases of EZ Cap swing-top bottles from a LHBS (example) and I subjected these new bottles to the same treatment as my Grolsch bottles.

Big Mistake! I pulled them out of the Oxyclean the next morning only to find the metal portions of the swing-tops spottily CORRODED!! :mad: I dried them off and they now have a white chalky film that comes off on your hands every time you touch it and tracks onto anything you touch! If you wipe it off of the metal pieces, it eventually comes back! Apparently these are made of some cheap coated metal that isn't the same as the actual Grolsch bottles! Be forewarned, don't soak them to long in Oxyclean!

BTW, the gaskets on the swing-tops are made of cheap PLASTIC and are not RUBBER like the Grolsch bottles either. They are not as flexible and truly hope that they seal with the same integrity as the others. Guess I won't know until I open a bottle and taste!

Buyer Beware!

You can buy replacement rubber for em and it sounds to me like you should. Maybe an acid soak would work better on the bottle toppers then oxyclean. Though oxy is my go to cleaner!

FermentingFreak said:
BTW, the gaskets on the swing-tops are made of cheap PLASTIC and are not RUBBER like the Grolsch bottles either. They are not as flexible and truly hope that they seal with the same integrity as the others. Guess I won't know until I open a bottle and taste!

Buyer Beware!

The bails are galvanized and will corrode. If it's a big problem new ones are $.75 ea with gaskets at all the major on-lines. BTW those gaskets are ( I believe) urethane and seal better and are neutral in smell and taste. I have used mine 7 or 8 times before ordering replacements which were poorly lathe- cut red rubber and have a powerful oder.
In my estimation the tops and gaskets are the best part of EZ cap bottles.

Oh, don't forget that they accept crowns- if your bails are causing you fits - just take 'em off and cap.

Back