HERMS and Heat Loss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayInJersey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just got my new Blichmann Mash Tun and before I go to Lowes and grab some Refletix to cover up the shiny...I was thinking

"Do I really give a rat's arse if it is insulated?"

Granted it will take more "energy" and the temp on the HLT HE may have to be a few degrees higher...does insulation in a HERMS system really matter?

I'm recircing the mash the entire time to maintain that temp...so could I really loose THAT MUCH heat?

Thoughts?
Is there a simple equation I could run on it?

It shouldn't make too big a difference. You can always adjust the temp a bit on HERMS by tweaking the HLT temp for heat exchange. The only time I've ever insulated the mash tun is brewing outside when it's below freezing.
it would be a shame to cover up that nice new blichmann.

Surely insulation would aid consistency. Especially as you are in Jersey, and winter will be significantly colder. I'd hate to cover up the shiney too though. Shiney costs money. :)

Why not run an actual test with just water in the MLT?

I mean, the system should maintain the temp, but pay attention to how much of the time your heater element stays on to see if is having to work very hard.

Part of my reasoning for switching to electric was to reduce costs. Propane is very expensive compared to electricity. So, I figure that if I am doing this partly as a cost savings thing, then using insulation would make it even more efficient.

If you don't care about that aspect, then just give it a whirl without the insulation on an actual batch. If you have temp issues, add the insulation for the next time.

Yeah planned on doing a test tomorrow (They made me come to work today ... else I would have run it last night)...followed by a brew, been out of commission for about 45 days waiting for this thing and I'm jonesing to brew again.

I brew in my garage which is pretty temp neutral (except in the winter...but hell I don't think anything is gonna help that)

Just trying to avoid that store...every time I go in there I walk out with more crap than I needed...it's uncanny. That and I'm lazy =D

Maybe I'll get the old lady to knit up a Blichmann sweater for the chilly days.

I ran a test, and on my system I monitor the mash in and mash out temps. Without insulation I couldn't get the out temp to come within about 4 degrees of the in temp. As soon As I insulated the copper fitting on the out side of the mash tun and the mash tun itself I was able to get it to within a degree. With that being said, I don't believe the mash itself is 4 degrees off, but how do you know when the mash is evenly heated if you can't get a reliable measurement on the back end.

As a second note, if you are trying to step mash temps, any heat loss will slow you down. Not sure how much though?

Anyway, I believe it's worth it but try for yourself. I'm a little to anal when it comes to those types of things.

When I was calibrating the effective BTU of my burner in 40F ambient garage temps, I was shocked how much heat loss I was getting out of the pot once the water temp got over 100F. I mean, it makes sense since the temp delta matters but I don't think I would give up efficiency for shiny. Grab some closed cell foam rubber from mcmaster and put some velcro on it. You can hide in the closet between brew sessions to keep the shiny as a show piece.

Back