Creative way of removing crimp on bottle caps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noleafclover

Reaction score
when a cap remover isn't nearby...

I'm currently using a finger-nail clipper... What have you had to resort to when no bottlecap remover was present?

Car door latch
Door jam
Bic Lighter
Keyring
picnic bench (really any hard surface will do)
Nail
Sheet of binder paper (saw it on Youtube...actually works!)

these are a few i have used
wooden spoon
plastic coat hanger
paper back book
pill bottle
brim of ball cap
cordless phone
screwdriver handle
and of course a lighter i use that more than anything

Open slide of a handgun works really well.
DISCLAIMER: DO NOT ACTUALLY TRY THIS! I'M AN IDIOT!

I never have a problem because my belt has a bottle opener on it :D

Paintball gun grip handle
Another bottle
Teeth
550 cord
AR-15 front site post
AR-15 Charging handle
MRAP Foot Step
and old reliable BCGs ear piece

This has got to be the most expensive way of doing it!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw2wviQAXYw&feature=fvw]YouTube - Helicopter Opens Beer[/ame]

thats funny i don't care who you are. my girlfriend knows better than to bring me a beer not already in the glass, so i don't run into this problem.

Lighter, counter top, fridge hinge, any tool in the tool box, dollar bill, coin, ring, sink, BBQ grate, BBQ brush, mail box, Jeep mirror, truck tailgate, picnic table, shovel, wash cloth or towel, I could go on but I think you get the point. There is no such thing as an unopened beer.

hahah well that is normally the policy here. However, we were on the road. After putting our heads together, fingernail clippers was all we could come up with.

Duh, you should shoot the tops off the bottles.

just give it to swmbo and make her go open it. ;) seriously, who opens their own beer?

I do, if I don't want the beer all over my lap. If I even get the beer itself, that is.

I've done everything possible to make sure I have at least one actual open with me at all times...

Key Chain
Belt Buckle
Bottom of my and SWMBO's Flip Flops
2 or 3 in the car at all times.

I've seen those flip flops, but I was always worried about opening a beer with something that has come in contact with whatever I've stepped in. Any problems with this?

$20 bill (or any denomination)
disposable lighter
handle of my pocketknife
side of a picnic table
armrest on my couch
edge of my dresser
usb flash drive
etc... etc...

I now have a opener on my keyring

I have never not been able to find something.

2 of my favorites because of the reaction I get from people are the seat belt buckle of some vehicles and a piece of paper/flap of cardboard off a 6/12 pack.

People just look in amazment.

The lists look like a list of things mcgaiver would use to disable a bomb or trap an infantry unit.

I have one on my belt...nothing else is generally required. When I don't have my pants on I generally slam it on something til it opens...I just want the beer at those times!

OMG - in the helicpoter video - has the cameraman never heard of a tripod? I needed 5 hits of dramamine to finish watching that!

a few that haven't been listed yet:

rocks
bricks
an axe
metal spatula
paint can opener

I like the rock one the best. When I'm outside with no tools or anything around and I don't want to f up my pocket knife . . I look around, thinking "ok, I need a rock with a nice little edge on it . . where are you, where are you . . a ha!". It's an empowering feeling.

yeah.. hahah.. you are an idiot...
not really.. if the slide is open, then the pin won't connect and thus fire, yes?
so, try this at home!
or on the range..
or in church..!
just don't hold it to your 8yr old daughters head...:fro:

I've never needed to use anything but the edge of a counter top or SWMBO's teeth.

Dunno what the other toothless hillbillies here in Ky use though :p

I think the list of things I haven't used to open a beer with would be shorter that what I have used. if an object is fairly solid with a corner or lip it can and most likely will be used.

a few that haven't been listed yet:

rocks
bricks
an axe
metal spatula
paint can opener

I like the rock one the best. When I'm outside with no tools or anything around and I don't want to f up my pocket knife . . I look around, thinking "ok, I need a rock with a nice little edge on it . . where are you, where are you . . a ha!". It's an empowering feeling.

paint can opener - they're designed for it. i used to work at a very relaxed paint store and that was the saturday usual (the new store, not so much) it's actually what i use most of the time now, becuse the magnet on the fridge holds those better than a "real" bottle opener.

i've used my s-biner, picinic table, screwdriver, bic lighters (learned that one the first time i ever got drunk), cell phones, open-end wrench, an ipod, all kinds of stuff. but now it's mostly the s-bined or paint can opener (i quit smoking)

Wedding ring while on the finger. WIFE LOVES THAT!!!
Takes some practice before it doesnt hurt or about rip off your finger.

But if its a matter of getting a beer open, anything goes.

OMG - in the helicpoter video - has the cameraman never heard of a tripod? I needed 5 hits of dramamine to finish watching that!

Was he jumping up and down on purpose, christ that was rough.

my best was an axe from the fire house.
slide on a framing gun.
Always use the one on my sandals.
shift knob on my stick shift.
drawstring on shorts.

I just tried a cd to open a beer but all I succeeded in was breaking a cd. I about broke a pen after that then just turned to the old reliable bottle opener.

Latest posts

Back