Wlp830

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brentesler

Reaction score
Bought WLP830 liquid yeast for lager, however it says on the tub to ferment at 70 degrees . It was my understanding that such a yeast ferments at 50-56? Can anyone help? Will this yeast work if i ferment at 56 ?

View attachment 89454

image-3921060861.jpg

That's bizarre that WL would not have even bothered to change their wording for the lager vials, but so much of their advertised advice is so crap already, I'm sort of not surprised. Their yeast is the best around, period, but they really need to step up and start marketing their stuff more honestly. Chris White is the GOD of brewer's yeast- why does this company maintain the practice of advertising terrible pitch rates and weird pitching temperature/fermentation temperature nonsense? I don't get it.

They tend to advocate pitching higher then lowering to desired ferm temp. I've never made a habit out of this, especially with Lagers. Most on HBT pitch UNDER the desired temp then allow the yeast to raise the temp as it ferments.

They tend to advocate pitching higher then lowering to desired ferm temp.

That's because you need that warm temperature to compensate for the frankly pitiful pitching rates they advocate. Underpitching, and pitching above fermentation temp are simply a terrible way to make beer. Shame on WL.

Back