spent grain dog treats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cincydave

Reaction score
I've seen several threads on making dog treats and bread from spent grains. I'm just doing extracts with steeping grains. Can the steeping grains be used for this, or just mash grains from all grain brews? My dog wouldn't be picky, but just wondering. Also for those of you that have done the dog treats, do you grease the cookie sheet? Don't want to have to use a hammer and chisel to get them off the sheet.

Thanks (from me and my mutt)

Steeping grains work perfectly.

I use a silpat, but a greasd pan is fine. Parchment paper would work too.

My dogs absolutely love them.

Hey Beergolf, Thanks for the reply. Threw the steeping grains away on first two batches. Won't do that again. Hadn't heard of silpat, but Googled it. Looks neat, but I'll probably go with greasing the sheet, instaed of spending 20 bucks or so on the Siplat. Don't really bake enought to justify that.

There is a short article in BYO mag this month with a recipe. It's got me wanting to do it. Maybe than my ridgeback will stop digging up the compost pile.

I had some Banana Bread from my friends used grains today...it was delish!

FYI....hops can be deadly to dogs....make sure your dog doesn't get into used hops...

Back