Brew Stand advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harley03

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well my first official post and I need some help guys.

I am in the process of designing and building a two tiered all grain system with converted kegs. The first dilemma I have is that I cannot decide whether to build the frame (stand) out of metal or wood.

Option 1: Metal, I have started to collect old bed frames for the angle but I need about 5 more to have al the metal I need which is a pain because everywhere I go nobody seems to have scrap metal or the want an arm and a leg for it. I have a welder at home and am more than capable of welding it together.

Option 2: Wood, I can get wood very easy and I do not think that the cost would be much more and probably easier to build. I realize that I will have to add sheet metal to protect the wood from the burners but no big deal.

Along with both designs I want to incorporate a few shelves or a section below the kegs to use as storage. This system will mainly be stored in my garage and wheeled out side when used. I am personally starting to lean toward wood just because of the storage idea I have and being able to adapt and add components to the system when needed.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. I want to make the frame right the first time so it will last and be easy to work with.

Back