False Bottom in BK

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerryalan

Reaction score
I have a SS false bottom in my boil keggle with 1/8 in holes and a dip tube going through. I brewed my first all-grain batch on Sunday and when I transferred the wort through the CFC to the primary, all of the hops went with it. What do I need to do to filter out the hops from the BK? Do I need to put a screen on the false bottom? Would whirl-pooling work?

Also, when racking to secondary, what should I do to filter out the hops that are still suspended in the beer?

Thanks!

Bag your hops, paint strainer or similar is simplest. You could put a fine screen on the FB but then if it clogs up you will have a tough time with it.

Cold crash beer to get hops to sink. Skip secondary.

Keeping the trub and hops out of the fermenter can be a royal PITA

Here is a practical method:

Just don't worry about it. Transfer the wort and all the gunk to the fermenter. When fermentation has finished all that crud will settle at the bottom. Just be careful and siphon off the clear beer without getting into the mucky bottom and your done!

PS skip the secondary.

Depends on beer and hydro readings, but I generally leave in primary at least 2 weeks and then cold crash primary for 5-7 days. Then it's on to the keg.

The only reason to have a FB in the kettle is for leaf hops. Even then It's not fool-proof and, if you make any adjunct kettle additions, it can be a liability.

Lots of ways to combat the problem from a simple bag to an elaborate chiller pre-filter/grant.

Depends on beer and hydro readings, but I generally leave in primary at least 2 weeks and then cold crash primary for 5-7 days. Then it's on to the keg.

I've only skipped the secondary with hefes. I'll do this method with this APA batch and see how it turns out :)

Should I let it sit in primary longer if I skip secondary? I typically rack to secondary after four to seven days in primary.

leave it in the primary until it's done fermenting. It's done when you have reached the target finish gravity AND the yeast has all fallen to the bottom.

Latest posts

Back