Strange Flavour question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuse

Reaction score
I planned to make the world renowned "Yooper's DFH Clone" but ran into trouble finding the ingredients on my shopping list. What I finished has a bitter, almost a slight cider vinegar taste. Here's what I have done:

DFH Clone

Brew Day Ingredients
3L Pale lme
500g Crystal Malt
50g Nugget Hops
25g Amarillo Gold
25g Cluster
Nottingham Yeast 10g

Day 7 Dry hop addition
25g Amarillo Gold
25g Cluster

Process
Steeped in 3 gallons ( 155f) ½ hr
Boil, add LME, boil.
25g Nugget @ 60 min
Tossed in remainder of nugget , some in every few min till 35 min
Mix other hops, add same method from 35 min til 0 min

Ambient Fermentation room temp 65-68
OG 1.060 Nov 20 2011
FG 1.010 Dec 24

Does my recipe create my problem? Will more aging help? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Finished how? While fermenting your beer will have way different flavors than when it has finished and is ready to bottle. Once in the bottle and beginning to carbonate you have active yeast again and it will take some time for that to finish the carbonation and settle out. Even when that is done, there is still chemical activity in the bottle and until that completes you can have strange flavors. Some of my darker beers have taken nearly 3 months in the bottles to get good tasting and people who make barleywines might have to wait more than a year.

I'd prefer a little cooler fermentation temperature but yours should still make pretty good beer. I think you may have a little of the "green beer" flavor and that it will go away pretty soon if you have fermented it long enough.

helibrewer - That's what it John Palmer said it would be. I did SmaSH the same day no problem with it. He also said it could be to many hops.

RM-MN - Finished as in the FG stayed in place. It went into a keg. I can ferment cooler, the garage is about 15 degrees cooler. I've got a batch in there now waiting to see how it ends up.

If it doesn't seem like excessive hops, I'll pull it off the tap and set it aside for a few weeks or a month or when I get low enough on beer to need it and see how it turns out. If it's infected, it shouldn't change. If it's young, then I'll have a fine brew later on. Thanks.

Regardless of whether you bottle or keg,the beer needs to age a bit to get good tasting. Not to mention getting a stable FG in primary,then letting it clean up & settle out more for 3-7 days before proceeding. It'll be clearer & taste better. But it still needs to age.

Latest posts

Back