Yeast going crazy, kinda wondering why

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmann86

Reaction score
Ok, so a little background, I just started my third brew, brewed and stored yesterday. This afternoon, I went down to check to see if fermentation had started. I immediately knew something was off because I could smell the beer. I check the airlock and its filled with beer!

So, I RDWHAHB, and open her up. I notice the yeast has been a little busy, there is about 2 inches of foam in it and there is protein gunk (I forget the technical term for it) all over the inside of the fermentor and covering the bottom of the airlock. The beer smells fine, but I didn't try tasting it. So, I clean the cover, refill the airlock and seal it back up. It immediately starts bubbling again.

So, I'm kinda wondering what could cause this, and if it will effect the flavor of my beer. My basement is cool and there is very little light, so I assume thats not the issue. This has not happened to me before and there are two things different in this brew as apposed to my first two. One, I used a liquid yeast instead of a dry yeast, could I have over pitched it? Two, about 15% of the sugars were honey, I kinda figure this wouldn't cause it, because sugar is basically sugar, right?

You have a very active fermentation, which is perfectly normal. If it seems like you are going to have a clogged airlock from all the krausen, you might want to consider a blow off tube for it. If not, just keep it closed up and make sure the temperature stays in the 65-68 degree range. Do you have a stick on thermometer on the outside of the pail?

It sounds like things are going just fine!

I don't use honey or sugar in my beers, but they are fermentable and the yeast will ferment them.

your fine....all the honey should be digested by the yeast but some yeast ferment faster than others...lay a towel around it so if it blows your good for cleanup and let it run its course....i wouldnt risk opening it again. You should be fine. RAHAHB

So, I'm kinda wondering what could cause this, and if it will effect the flavor of my beer.

What caused it? You have a nice healthy fermentation. :rockin:

Will it effect the flavor? It will effect the flavor by turning your wort into beer. :p

Blow offs are not uncommon. You might want to check into getting a blow off tube.

I wouldn't have cleaned off the cover due to risk of infection. What you need is a blow-off tube for the first couple of days until your fermentation settles down a little, then replace the airlock (be sure to re-sanitize it).

Pretty much any sanitized tubing will work - you can attach one end to your fermenter and put the other end into a jug of sanitized water. You might be able to push some tubing over the stem of your airlock to attach it, I've seen posts that show this method. A racking cane (with tubing) pushed into the stopper will even work in a pinch.

Thanks, yes, there is thermometer on the outside, its sitting around 68-70 degrees. I figured it was just very active fermentation, I was just worried that overactive fermentation could lead to off flavors.

Considering my primary is a 7 gallon bucket, I'd never been worried about needing to add a blowoff, but we will see.

Jmann, you wouldn't perhaps be fermenting a wheat beer, would you? Those (and the appropriate liquid yeast) are notorious for blowoffs. As long as nothing clogs your blowoff tube - you're good.
:mug:

I have a brew right now that looks more like it rapid boil then fermenting! I love it. GLAD I have a blow off tube attached though. Don't always need one but this one - YIKES!!

you only have to make the mistake of not having a blowoff tube once then forever more you will be implementing one. Oh and be ready to repaint the ceiling.

Yes i have been woken up by brew spewing through the top of my airlock. Sounds like you have some healthy yeast on your hands.

Just FYI, if I do not rig up a blowoff tube (and, that's usually the case, since I use Foam Control), I keep some StarSan handy by the fermenting fridge in case I need to "change the baby."

TL

Back