Will pitching entire package into 1/2 batch compensate for mishandling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgm1961

Reaction score
Hello all,

I accidently activated a package of "Wyeast 1272 American II" four months ago. The mfg date is 29 May 12 (5 months, 1 week), and its been stored in the refrigerator all the time. The package is still swollen. I intend to use it for a HALF batch (2.5 gals) of American style Ale.

Question: Can I get away with simply pitching the ENTIRE package into the half batch, letting the batch size compensate for its age and swollen state, or do I really need to do a starter? I’ll do a starter, but would simply prefer to simply pitch the whole package and call it good.

Of course, what I prefer doesn’t matter if the only viable solution in this situation is to do a starter. I just don’t have enough experience to know yet. The FAQ on the Wyeast website says its OK to delay use on an activated package, but I don’t think they were talking about a four month delay. But their advice is based on a full batch.

Again this wouldn’t even be a question if I was doing a full batch - a starter would be a no-brainer in this situation. But I’m assuming the half-batch size is the key to the answer. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Bgm1961

Well, after four months the viability is likely less than 10%. Use 1 liter for every 100 billion cells that you need based on OG and batch size.

If you don't see any karousen in the starter, buy new yeast.

Back