Crazy Idea for Mead/Beer Hybrid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adeering

Reaction score
So had an idea to do an ancient greece inspired beer and since I dont want to do just a mead, or a honey flavored beer I would combine the two and make a hybrid.

Has anyone done this and have any suggestions. Currently Im thinking a light wheat based beer, using white wheat, caramel wheat, a little honey malt and extra light DME for the grain build, and putting the honey in at flameout for the mead part. Using citra (or another citrus type hop) for a light IBU, some seeds of paradise for some flavoring.

Don't waste the citra on bittering, it contributes an odd flavor when used to bitter imo. I would go with something with a bit more lineage like Cluster/EKG/Saaz for authenticity. Those hops have been around a long time and would likely be closer to whatever they used in antiquity (though the likely didn't use hops and instead used gruit). Revvy is one hell of a brewing historian as are some other folks on this board. I'd pm them or do more research and see what was done during the period you are looking at. Bob and Kai come to mind also. I like the idea as I'm getting more interested in historical brewing. Good luck to you and do let us know how it turns out!

I have two references for you. One is Gruit, which is essentially an ale made without hops.

The other is Braggot, which is something like half mead, half ale. There is a local brewery here that recently made an anniversary braggot which was astounding..basically a pretty hoppy American pale ale with a crapload of honey in it.

So I guess its not that crazy after all, based on those readings I think i might be on the right track. Not going for authenticity, just an adaptation into a new brew. So heres the plan for the next brew day going to do this also since i have to let it age in the bottles for long time:

FUggin' Hiccups Dionysus' Ambrosia
Grains:
3lbs White Wheat Malt
1lb Caramel Wheat Malt
1/2lb Honey Malt
1.75lbs Extra Light DME

Hops:just want a light hoppyness
0.5oz Amarillo (30mins)
0.5oz Citra (5mins)

Flavorings:
Orange Zest/Juice (5min)
Seeds of Paradise, Crushed (5 min)

Honey:
8lbs Orange Blossom Honey

Yeast:
White Labs Champagne Yeast

Plan on doing 5gals and havent decided if im going to carbonate it or not yet, might do half and half

Just ordered all the ingredients for this, so will test it this weekend, will post results as they come, but it will probably be a six month wait for the final test.

Just brewed this last night, initial tasting is an orange honey, but way too early to tell, will update in a month when i rack to secondary, gonna be a long process but will keep thread updated with results.

XI'm thinking about either a blonde ale, red ale, or porter with around 10 pounds of honey fermented dry with wine yeast and treated like a wine. I will bottle age it for at least two years on top of the time it has in carboy (probably open one at one year to check progress though) so it will take awhile to make but I think it sounds good. Any updates on yours?

Back