weird film before pitching yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frydogbrews

Reaction score
usually i chill in the brew kettle because i don't like putting hot things in plastic, and so i dump the chilled wort in the bucket, makes a bunch of foam and i pitch my liquid yeast on top of the foam.

this weekend i made two batches. since i was doing two batches, i poured the wort into a fermentation bucket and then put my immersion chiller in there. when i lifted the chiller out, there was a film on the bottom coil, it looked exactly like the film that form on a bubble wand when you try to blow bubbles. there was also a bubble on the chilled wort when i took the chiller out. i have never seen that before, but as i said, i almost never do things that way.

i pitched my yeast and it started fermenting 12 hours or so later.
i am slightly worried there might have been a tiny bit of soap still in that bucket. i had scrubbed it a little with a scrub brush that shouldn't have had hardly any soap on it, then i rinsed it and sanitized it. the chance is low, but i guess it is there.

if was a tiny bit of soap, any thoughts on what to expect? just crappy head retention or will it actually affect flavor? for the record it is a steam that is single hopped with northern brewer.

hmm...what kind of soap do you think it was? I find that Palmolive has a nice, piquant after dinner flavor , heavy, but with a touch of mellow smoothness

i've made much much hoppier beers than this and never seen this film before.
i believe it would have been one of those seventh generation ones, probably rosemary scented.......mmmmmm rosemary scented california common

Back