How to dry hops without a box fan?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YOpassDAmike

Reaction score
I need to dry some freshly picked hops but I do not have a box fan. I have a regular oscillating fan, what method can I use with my current fan? I do have a food dehydrator, can I use this or is the heat that the food dehydrator gives off to hot that ot will damage the hops, fyi my dehydrator does not have a temperature setting. I see some people use furnace filters with a box fan, what type of furnace filters do you guys use? Are there furnace filters with fragrances or dangerous chemicals that I should know about and avoid? Instead of furnace filters can I use my plastic food dehydrator trays to hold the hops? Thank you.

If you have a little free space, just use some old window screens set up on sawhorses. No fan at all. I even spaced and layered the screens with some blocks of wood because I had a lot of hops. I think hops have been dried for longer than window fans have been around;)

My first "oast" was pretty much ^that^ - I temporarily liberated three large window screens, laid the first one across a pair of sawhorses, spread a layer of cones on it, used a pair of 2x4s to block up the next screen, and so on, for a three-layer hop cake.

Played a couple of wimpy 120mm muffin fans on it 'cuz that's all I had but a handful of hot days later the moisture content had dropped by 80% - close enough for vac-bagging and freezing.

btw, most oscillating fans can be set to a fixed position. That'd make things easier...

Cheers!

Back