Question about using an airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foojoo

Reaction score
Hello,

I am making my first batch of cider. I have a very basic question. Do you add water into the airlock before or after you insert it into the rubber stopper that is inserted in your container?

I've tried searching the forums and haven't seen an answer.

Thank you.

I prefer to add it before so that when I push it onto my CARBOY it pushes a little pressure in the correct direction. I've also done it after without issue.

If you're going onto a bucket grommet then it probably doesn't make a difference either way. Which ever feel more natural for you. The benefit of doing it before is if you happen to overwill the airlock it won't go into your beer.

Add it after you push it in. Also buy a cheap handle of vodka and use that instead of water. That way if any gets sucked in you do not have to worry about sanitation issues.

Wow I never thought of vodka to negate any sanitation issues! I've been full grain brewing and just now doing a cider, I'm glad I did this little tidbit will help greatly in the future

Add it after you push it in. Also buy a cheap handle of vodka and use that instead of water. That way if any gets sucked in you do not have to worry about sanitation issues.

Using Star San solution is very common. Don't have to worry about as much evaporation (compared with vodka) that way.

Latest posts

Back