Accidentaly lagered a Hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oligarchy

Reaction score
well sorta accidentaly. the spare room in my house has the ac/heat shut off to save on the cost. room doesnt get above 70 for anything so i generally will ferment all my beer in there.

had my hefe was going well fermenting at low to mid 60s

fermentation stopped, still has a day to the 10 mark left before i bottle, which i will get around to in the next few days/weekend so looking at 10-14 days in primary.

however my issue is this, the temperature dropped out pretty quick and its sitting in the min 50s, has dropped as low as low 40s, and has really cleared up, so in order to get some yeast for flavor and just good carbination in general, what are my options?

a) bottle as is and deal with a clearer/low yeast Hefe
b) shake up the fermenter before siphoning to bottle bucket?
c) any other way to get the yeast moving around?

i considered bumping up the temps to high 70s elsewhere in the house to get some yeast activity but id imagine its done fermenting so anythign the yeast would put off would not be good in the beer.

shaking the fermenter i can only imagne would kick up all the trub that i dont want in the bottle.

am i left with option a? or is there an alternative?

I personally wouldn't worry about it. I'd just call it a krystal weiss. If you were planning to enter in BJCP competition and worrying about it for that reason, it is perfectly acceptable and to style to have a clear weissbier.

no not worried about style at all, just would like no lose out on any hefe flavors from the yeast

Back