Beersmith mash temp problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrotherFreeman

Reaction score
Well... not even really sure this is a software issue. Two batches in a row now I have missed my target temps when mashing in and infusing. I have set up my equipment settings as accurately as possible. Both times I have been using my 100qt cooler mash tun for 10 gallon batches with 20-30 lbs of grain. My current theroy is that the large headspace above the wort is having a cooling affect. Is there any way to account for this in the software? I would have gone with a 75qt if I had thought about this issue when i bought the thing but too late now.

All coolers usually lose 1-2 degrees over a 60-min. mash. Covering or somehow insulating the cooler helps reduce this. But your strike temperatures should be very, very close when using Beersmith. Mine are always spot-on. Like you said, make sure you choose the material your mash tun is made of as each material has a distinct specific heat. Weight and volume of the mash tun also feed into the calculation. They need to be accurate too. Don't forget to take the temperature of your grain prior to mashing in too. And lastly, make sure the "adjust temperature for equipment" option box is checked under your mash profile. Other than that, you can always pre-heat your mash-tun prior to mash-in. But make sure you input the correct numbers whichever route you go. Good luck.

One thing to check that I know has caused me to have some off temps in the past...

On the mash screen, there is a value for grain temperature. I have noticed that the temp of my grains - stored in the garage, summer vs. winter - will affect my process.

Headspace may be an issue, but it is not one I have run into. I add my water about 5 to 10 degrees above temp, then let that bring my MLT up to temp, then add the grains. It eliminates a variable for me by not worrying about how much heat the cooler will absorb.

Enjoy!

How long do you preheat the MLT? I noticed that when I use 180 degree water to preheat the cooler (Igloo 10 gallon), it "sucks" out about 30 degrees within 15 minutes. Then, it stays within a degree.

There is also a variable for mash tun temperature in the mash profiles. I believe the default is 120 degrees. Are you preheating your mash tun? If not, you could trial and error with this value until you nail your mash temperature. I skip preheating the mash tun to reduce the steps in my process. I just up the temperature of the strike water to compensate.

There is also a variable for mash tun temperature in the mash profiles. I believe the default is 120 degrees. Are you preheating your mash tun? If not, you could trial and error with this value until you nail your mash temperature. I skip preheating the mash tun to reduce the steps in my process. I just up the temperature of the strike water to compensate.

I measured my grain temp at about 64* and set my tun temp to the same as a rough estimate. I did not preheat the tun either. I did notice after i added the infusion that I was getting inconsistent temps in various spots in the mash. I might try doing the strike in reverse like some of you suggested, adding the water first at a slightly higher temp then adding in the grain. I have another brew scheduled for later today so will try and get some more data (i have been guestimating deadspace so I need to remember to measure that).

I measured my grain temp at about 64* and set my tun temp to the same as a rough estimate. I did not preheat the tun either. I did notice after i added the infusion that I was getting inconsistent temps in various spots in the mash. I might try doing the strike in reverse like some of you suggested, adding the water first at a slightly higher temp then adding in the grain. I have another brew scheduled for later today so will try and get some more data (i have been guestimating deadspace so I need to remember to measure that).

If you preheat the MLT, I promise you it will make a huge difference. 15 minutes is plenty.

Back