Little help please? in the middle of a brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NevermoreBrew

Reaction score
So i just finished brewing and am in the process of removing my wort from my boil pot. i used hopville to generate my recipe and it gives me two different OGs. one it says 1.051 measured then below it it says 1.073 estimated....which one should i shoot for? thanks

Estimated is the target OG that hopville calculates based on the fermentables in the recipe and the efficiency % (which you can edit just below the gravity section).

Measured OG is a figure that you can enter after brewing, mainly as record keeping for yourself.

The one you get closer to. That is a huge range. Something isn't right. How much grains and/or extract are you using for what volume batch?

1lb of LME should give you about 1.007 in 5 gallons so a 5 gallon batch with 7lbs of extract should be about 1.049 OG.

If you are doing all-grain then you need a hydrometer cause there are too many variables to consider.

just looked at the recipe....somehow something got entered. I deleted it and it gave ma an OG range of 1.065-1.076...that makes sense now..thanks

Latest posts

Back