Beer with wine aftertaste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey, I'm pretty new to brewing and have only been brewing with beer kits so I'm still learning a lot. Anyways, I've been using mostly coopers, and specifically have grown attached to Real Ale. My beers turn out fine now, except for the fact that they keep getting a wine like aftertaste. I've heard that it could be due to the unusual yeast that comes with the Coopers kit (rumoured to be some form of bakers yeast... i don't know). Could it be that, temperature problems, or simply the fact that i need to age my beer past 1 month because thats when I usually start opening.

To make it easier for people to diagnose my issue here's the recipe with what I did:
- 1.5L liquid coopers malt extract
- 1 kg dextrose
- 2-3 litres of boiling water mixed with malt extract
- water added to reach final temperature of about 23C/73F with around 23L
- once mixed and temperature was reached coopers dry yeast was added
- put directly into glass carboy to ferment (same day as mixing)
- after 7 days ph reading was 1.004 and beer was primed and bottle using dextrose
- bottles were kept in room with temp above 18C/65F

I don't know why primary fermenting was skipped all together in the instructions but if thats my problem please tell me so I can slap myself and make a decent batch.
As of now its been about 3 weeks and the beer still has a wine like aftertaste...

Feed back would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Well my first thought was "hey my beer used to have a wine after taste" and then you mentioned the coopers so I had to respond. Some of the worst beers I ever made were w/coopers yeast. Then I switched to nottingham which was a huge improvement. Then I switched to white labs california ale and I don't think I'll ever look back. But I know what you mean and I definitely recommend switching away from the coopers. It was the cheapest at my brew store and so it was the one I grabbed when I first started. Now you couldn't make me use it.

Latest posts

Back