EdWort heading to Tennessee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
I'm off to Tennessee today to visit the in-laws for Christmas in the Smokey Mountains (They have a cabin in Sevierville). SWMBO and I will be in Gatlinburgh to visit the Smokey Mountain Brewery for a few beers. We make take in a beer in Knoxville if we can find a brew pub there.

Any suggestions for this area?

I was up there a few years ago and stopped by this place:

Smoky Mountain Brewery

It was before I got into serious beer snobbery so I can't really comment on exactly how good the beer it since its been a while. Its the only one that I know of in the area though. If you stop by, report back so I know if its any good.

Have a great trip!

Neal

The Smokey Mountain Brewery had a good pale ale and helles last year when we went. And they have something like 32 oz mugs! Enjoy and if you eat there get the cheese steak - it was great.

Webbie

Well after a very long drive, we made it to the Smokey Mountains of Tennessee from Texas. My Tahoe Z71 averaged almost 19 miles per gallon and we tanked up as low as $1.44 a gallon.

The Christmas Stash is setup and mighty tasty. This batch of Apfelwein turns 9 months old on Christmas Eve. :tank:

ChristmasWeeekStash.jpg

We're heading to Gatlinburg tonight for wings/pizza & brew at the Smokey Mountain Brewery.

Ya'll have a safe and Merry Christmas!

I was in the Smokey Mountains at the end of the summer. The SM Brewery had some decent brews. I thought their pale ale and porter were pretty good. Their food is pretty good as well. They let me give myself a self guided tour in their brewery which was pretty cool.

Ed Wort, sneak east on 40, and north on I-81 for about an hour & a half & come have a brew with me!

I reccomend the Tuchlahatchee (how ever you spell it) Porter.

Also they have a SMB behind Calhouns in G'berg, and also another location in Pigen Forge/Severeville (sp). The other one is across the road frm the helicopter museum (which sucks).

Calhouns has a decent menu, and other than that, good luck in Gatlinburg.

OGH!!! yeah... um....in I think its craftsmans village there is a pretty good English Pub.

I'm sorry, I can't remember the name, but its in the first group of buildings you come to in the village.

The village is called "the Village" how ironic.
Great Smoky Arts & Crafts Community Area Gatlinburg TN EVERY Shop, Restaurant And MORE

Here is the place I lost a few afternoons while SWMBO shopped:
Jareds Grill At The Ship Gatlinburg TN (865) 430-4441
thier pizza is great.

the Pub is the Fox & Parrot Tavern
Fox And Parrot Tavern Gatlinburg TN (865) 436-0677
Been to this one, but don't remember!

Enjoy Ed!!!

the Pub is the Fox & Parrot Tavern
Fox And Parrot Tavern Gatlinburg TN (865) 436-0677
Been to this one, but don't remember!

Oh yeah that's a good place to stop in as well. I still have the owner's card in my wallet. SWMBO and I ditched her family and went for a drive and found this place. It's an English pub sort of. Lots of breweriana on the walls and soccer games on TV. Even had a beer engine at the bar. The owner runs the bar and kitchen himself. He also homebrews. We hung out with him and a couple of his loyal, German customers for an hour or so. The place was dead but it was a nice experience.

.....maybe it was the fox & parrot that I spent a few days. SWMBO swears its was the Ship, but I don't know.

Owner was a homebrewer & a complete beer nut. We sampled several beers not on the menu. I "lived" there while SWMBO shoped and my bill was only for the food I ate.

I dunno, Edwort...care to go check them both out & report back to us?

The title of this thread reminds me of "Ernest goes to Hollywood" or something like that. :D Have fun while you're there!

Well, the beer and food was good, but our waitress left much to be desired. First off, she cards me and then cards my father-in-law. Both of us are lacking in the hair department and what we do have is pretty much white or grey. She said it was the law, but how retarded for a law. She acted like one of those TSA workers wanding Grandma.

I ordered a big mug of their Pale Ale and the waitress warned me that it was the HOPPIEST of their beers. She then went on to describe each one and used Macro beers to describe them.

Their Mountain Light = Coors Light
Thunder Road Pilsener = Heineken
Cherokee Red Ale = Killians
Vellas Hellas Lager = Corona
Tuckaleecheee Porter = Guinness
Black Bear Ale = an Amber Bock
Their Winter Warmer = Guiness and Amber Bock mixed.

SWMBO and her mom ordered the Red Ale and it was tasty. My Pale Ale, was not hoppy at all (just came from the hotel where I enjoyed a Sierra Nevada). It had a nice malt backbone, but it was lacking in the hops department.

The place had loads of Weyermann malt sacks everywhere. Good food, decent beer, but the help is either poorly educated about the beer or they have been trained to cater to a uneducated customer base.

Ed, thats pretty much how I remember Smoky Mtn.

But there beers aren't horrible, G'berg isn't very friendly. You gotta go to Asheville (2 hrs East) to get a really good beer market.

G'berg caters to southern rednecks getting shotgun weddings. Beer snoba are few & far between!

Check out the village if yuh get a chance. Much better beer selection.

Too bad about the service. We had great service when we went and that was the main reason we ended up going back.

Thanks for the replies & feedback. We've had our share of Gatlinburg and are back on the mountain working on the keg of Apfelwein & beers from Chico, CA & Minnasoota. :D

Stay shacked up for most of the time... the mountains are beautiful but the area reminds me a lot of hot garbage. We really just enjoyed hikes and the nature.

The fox and Parrot is a cool and quirky place, also the Ship was passable. Both those places are definitely worth a stop.

The Cuban place in either Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge was very good and not saturated with the odd Southern Redneck essence others have commented on. Order some of the real Cuban dishes and you will not be disappointed.

Have fun, what a beautiful park!!!!

Boerderij,
What Cuban place are you talking about? I usually make the trip down there once or twice a year just to make sure its still down there.

Can't remember the name... it is the only Cuban place and looks like the only authentic food place around. I am pretty sure it was in Gatlinburg, or the right side of the street at the beginning (ish) part of the town as you are heading from P.F. into Gatlinburg.

Back