Krausened out after 2 days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodland

Reaction score
Two days ago I brewed a batch of Irish Draught ale according to the Northern Brewer recipe. I pitched a 1L starter of WL Irish Ale yeast and after 24hrs the krausen was coming out of the blow-off tube. 48 hours later the krausen has completely disappeared, but there's still quite a bit of activity (i.e. yeast swiriling around). I'm not particularly concerned, I just find it very curious to see that rapid action. I wonder if the use of flaked oats had anything to do with it. I know a starter speeds things up, but WOW!

IMG_1265.jpg

IMG_1266.jpg

Yeah, I'm cool with it, just never seen it happen that fast. I'm willing to bet I'll be able to bottle that much quicker. I just had one of my Scottish ales (7%ABV), so I'm nice and relaxed now.

2-3 for krausen to die down is normal. Its usually when I expect to swap the tube for an airlock.

I generally do a three-week primary, but since using starters I check the gravity after about two weeks, to see how things are going.

Latest posts

Back