Coriander? Oi.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Meh. I brewed a few Wit's in the days since starting this hobby and I've found coriander to never be overdone. However, I've used a cheap brand in bulk before and finally just threw it out. Quality coriander is a must. And there are many different types.

I dont think it was overdone in the La Chouffe; I simply think that I just don't care for the flavor.

That might make me a Philistine. So be it.

Thank you for having me look that term up. I have never known what it meant.

And I'm not sure what you have is a problem of any sort. There are lots of flavors in some beers that I don't care for. Some, like Coriander, I don't detect in any significant amount. That makes me a bit easy to please I suppose.

You can keep your coconut beers.

Well, I honestly don't think that I have a problem, either; I don't care for it, while many do.

Coconut beers? Haven't had one yet. Not sure that sounds like my cup of tea.

I know a few people that just can't stand the stuff, I like it in small doses but it seems that the majority either really likes it or hates it with a passion. I also agree with homer, you can keep anything coconut flavor out of my space.

I know a few people that just can't stand the stuff, I like it in small doses but it seems that the majority either really likes it or hates it with a passion. I also agree with homer, you can keep anything coconut flavor out of my space.

I enjoy cilantro in Tex-Mex/Mexican food. Sauces with cilantro and lime? Yes, please.

Apparently, I just don't like it in beer.

I had an epiphany last week when I was looking up facts about coriander for a White IPA. I never knew that coriander and cilantro were the same plant. Cilantro is just the Spanish translation of coriander.

Just read that article. How DARE you not enjoy ALL flavors in your food! The EFFRONTERY!

I know it. I am clearly a jerk.

Apprarently, I am wasting everyone's time by writing how I don't like something. On my personal homebrewer blog.

It's been a while since I made an entry, I thought that it might be borderline amusing to some folks. I never expected to tick off the internet. ;)

Ah, well.

I enjoy cilantro in Tex-Mex/Mexican food. Sauces with cilantro and lime? Yes, please.

Apparently, I just don't like it in beer.

Leafy lime cilantro is a way diff world from spicy corriander seed.

I had an epiphany last week when I was looking up facts about coriander for a White IPA. I never knew that coriander and cilantro were the same plant. Cilantro is just the Spanish translation of coriander.

Corriander is acually the seed cilantro grows from!
Like stated above they look and taste VERY different from each other.

Leafy lime cilantro is a way diff world from spicy corriander seed.

Corriander is acually the seed cilantro grows from!
Like stated above they look and taste VERY different from each other.

I bow to your knowledge. Again, my only takeaway here is that I have discovered that I just don't care for coriander in beer, and should probably avoid it as a future ingredient in my own.

I love coriander, both in cooking and in food. In fact for me in a wit, the more coriander the better, if it's balanced with everything else. One of my favorite wits that was heavily coriander based is the now defunct Cellis White. It was a great compliment to pungent mustard and sharp Swiss cheeses. In fact I would use Cellis in my Welsh Rare-bit.

The spice that I just can't get out of my palate/nose is ground fenugreek. In the the Metro Detroit area Iron Brewer competition that we brewed for back in October, and the results banquet was last week ( I took third out of 15) that was the secret ingredient. We did a honey kolsh (my recipe and one of the other competitor's is here.) At the dinner last week we got to taste each others entries, plus they had a pairing dinner with Indian food, and to be quite honest I don't even want to drink any of the beers left over.

I love coriander, both in cooking and in food. In fact for me in a wit, the more coriander the better, if it's balanced with everything else. One of my favorite wits that was heavily coriander based is the now defunct Cellis White. It was a great compliment to pungent mustard and sharp Swiss cheeses. In fact I would use Cellis in my Welsh Rare-bit.

Used over an ounce of corriander in my last wit with sweet and bitter orange peel and also grains of paradise! lets just say that was a spicy meataball:tank:

MMMMMM rabbit:rockin:

QUOTE]

Used over an ounce of corriander in my last wit with sweet and bitter orange peel and also grains of paradise! lets just say that was a spicy meataball:tank:

MMMMMM rabbit:rockin:

I have considered grains of paradise as a possible addition for a future brew.

Grains of paradise are great in wits....

Well, I don't know why I did it, but I cracked one of the fenugreek kolsch's......Hopefully someday it will mellow into something less funky.

Back