help with brewing in corny kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeppman

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have a saison fermenting right now, 5.25gal batch split into two cornys. This is my first time using kegs for fermentation vessels. I have the liquid out posts removed and the dip tubes removed. What I'm a little confused on is how to get the beer and yeast out (I'd like to wash and re-use the yeast).

I understand I can push the beer with C02 from these kegs to another keg. But how do I avoid disturbing the yeast, and how can I collect the yeast after? I was thinking that I would bend the dip tube so it doesn't touch the yeast, but I don't know how much to bend it...(i know i could of looked into this before filling the kegs with beer... but too late now). After, I would bend it back and try to push the yeast into a separate container. But all this bending can't be good for the tube, over time. Or I could just pour the yeast out of the top of the corny, but this seems like it could be a bit messy, hard to control without splashing, and hard to do in a sanitary method (the yeast may touch a lot of the outside surface of the keg before pouring into my yeast collection vessel).

Then I saw a video and a description where you just put in the dip tube like normal, remove the poppets from the post to reduce flow restriction, and push the yeast out, and then when it runs clear you push the beer out. Does this method really work? It seems like you would leave a lot of yeast (because you would only pick up the yeast in the immediate vicinity of the dip tube). It also seems like you may clog the posts. Also, how does the quick disconnect work without the poppet, doesn't the poppet need to be in place to "open" the disconnect?

Basically I just need some help in transferring beer out of the the primary fermenting corny keg, and collecting the yeast.

Thanks.

Back