Looking for action...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregDorsey

Reaction score
I’ve had a clone of Boddington’s Bitters (recipe from Beer Captured) sitting in primary for seven days. This is only my second attempt at brewing (the first being a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone). In contrast to the SNPA, the air lock activity during the first week of fermentation for the Boddington’s was pretty tame. I’m confident I followed the proper procedures throughout the brew process and I pitched Wyeast 1098 British Ale when the wort had cooled to less than 75 degrees. This is a lighter beer (OG 1.038).

My question: is fermentation generally less intense or slower with lower ABV beers?

Fermenation can vary from beer to beer, and absolutely varies from yeast to yeast.

Bubbles are an indication of fermentation, but the lack of them means nothing at all. The only way to know if fermentaton is happening is with a hydrometer.

I'll bet the biggest difference is the yeast being pitched. I've found that the British Ale yeasts are less intense than, say, American Ale (can I assume you used 1056 on the SNPA?)

From the topic title I was going to say "You may have better luck on Craigslist buddy finder!" :)

In all seriousness; what kind of primary fermenter are you using? If you use a bucket fermenter, it is common for them to leak CO2 pressure from under the lid which means the airlock doesn't do much. I prefer Better Bottles because I love seeing the fermentation!

I'll bet the biggest difference is the yeast being pitched. I've found that the British Ale yeasts are less intense than, say, American Ale (can I assume you used 1056 on the SNPA?)

I dunno, I've seen S-04 take off and finish quick, from intense to minimal activity in like 48 hours.

Yep, for the SNPA I used 1056.

The Boddington's is fermenting in a new bucket, which appears to have a good seal.

I haven't reached for the hydrometer yet. I'm planning on moving it to a secondary (carboy) and letting in sit for two weeks.

Yep, for the SNPA I used 1056.

The Boddington's is fermenting in a new bucket, which appears to have a good seal.

I haven't reached for the hydrometer yet. I'm planning on moving it to a secondary (carboy) and letting in sit for two weeks.

Leave it alone for two weeks before you think about moving it. Note that bucket seals - even new ones - are notoriously leaky. All it takes is a pinhole, and the CO2 will escape there before it escapes from your airlock.

Bubbles mean nothing.

A gravity reading is the only way to tell if anything is going on at all. Take a reading see what it says. If it is still at the same SG, you might want to consider repitching. Make a starter with the liquid.

I took a gravity reading after 8 days in primary and the beer had hit my target FG, so I racked to secondary.

Going back to my original question, I'm now wondering if the lack of visible action in the airlock was due to the type of yeast used, as Cepster suggested, the low original gravity or perhaps inadequate aeration before pitching the yeast.

Either way no worries, it tasted pretty much as expected before I racked to secondary.

Back