Cask keg conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big10Seaner

Reaction score
I just acquired an old 7.5 gallon keg that I want to try to convert into a cask keg setup. It has a older style connection on the top that I'm not sure of how to use/convert. It also has a wooden bung on the side of it that I could buy a breather setup and install. Any ideas on what to do for the actual connnection/conversion?

keg1.jpg

keg2.jpg

That sure looks like a lot of work and on a aluminum keg vs a straight sided stainless keg. Unless your going to Tig weld the bung shut, cut the top and install a chiller coil into it to chill your boil kettle I would pass it on and go stainless. JMO's as I started with those aluminum kegs, best move was finding a buyer for them and went stainless.

I still think I can make it work, the bung will be a removable breather for cask setups. The main problem is the actual top, I'm just looking for some suggestions as far as the dispensing would go.

I see hoff stevens taps on ebay all the time for fairly cheap money... purchase one of those, fill through the bung hole, put on your breather, and be good to go.

I am sure there has to be a google link out there on how to tap a hoff stevens keg...

My $0.02!

:mug:

If I get one of the hoff stevens taps, will I still be able to use gravity if I tilt the keg to dispense it (without using CO2)?

You can also use a propane regualtor and co2 tank instead of a breather. That way it will let in just enough co2 to blanket but not enough to push or carbonate.

Cask conditioned beers are not gravity fed. They're transferred toward the end of fermentation so you still get some CO2 from fermentation in there, and then are served via a Beer Engine.
Check out this thread for how to build one.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/fellow-homebrewers-meet-my-new-beer-engine-10529/

Some cask beers are gravity fed, and this is what I was trying to accomplish with this setup. I've seen beer engines but don't want to shell out the money for one or have it set up that way. I want something easy I can dispense while tilted for a few outdoor parties.

Some cask beers are gravity fed, and this is what I was trying to accomplish with this setup. I've seen beer engines but don't want to shell out the money for one or have it set up that way. I want something easy I can dispense while tilted for a few outdoor parties.

My mistake then I was only aware of the one method.

Hmm, I guess the gravity ones have the outlet near the side (makes sense), not in the middle like mine. Maybe I'll go with a standard pump type tapper and just do it that way.

If this is all you want to accomplish, look into king kegs. They sell them in the UK and you can get them here (they are also called pressure vessels).

To the best of my knowledge, they use them to serve real ale, but there is a co2 charger port on it which just keeps a blanket of co2 over it, but does not carb it. They are gravity dispensed.

I am sure some of our UK users can fill you in more on these.

Back