Comicons make me feel REALLY good about my life...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Let me start out by typing that I know we're all nerds in certain aspects of our lives. I geek out about audio engineering and I even write original 8 bit music, so I can admit the fact that I'm a nerd.

Because of my love for audio and chiptunes I went to see a show last night that was going on in conjunction with the Phoenix Comicon. One band is called Minibosses and they are a 4 piece band (2 guitars, bass and drums) and they cover music in video games. The other artist I wanted to see is a rapper by the name of Mega Ran who raps over Capcom music (he's actually endorsed by Capcom). So once again, I can embrace my nerdness.

Since this show was put on in conjunction with the Phoenix Comicon several "characters" that attended the comicon also attended this show. Some of these people you could tell were completely lost in a fantasy world to where they were speaking in weird voices and acting as characters. You could tell some of them have no chance of accepted physical contact with the opposite sex.

The whole thing made me appreciate my life that much more. More power to them though. They're typically happy people.

You ever seen a larp (live action role playing) event? I feel slightly nerdy even knowing what the term means Haha...but these people strike me as even.more odd than the comicon crowd...

I am a gigantic nerd, but people like this take nerdness to another level. There is nothing wrong with something that you enjoy, as long as you can admit its nerdy

You ever seen a larp (live action role playing) event? I feel slightly nerdy even knowing what the term means Haha...but these people strike me as even.more odd than the comicon crowd...

I am a gigantic nerd, but people like this take nerdness to another level. There is nothing wrong with something that you enjoy, as long as you can admit its nerdy

Oh yeah, I've seen LARPing. Not in person, but you can find videos online.

These people crack me up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I WISH there was a comicon anywhere near me!

This reminds me that I have to look up some Renaissance festivals this summer. It's been a couple of years...

I WISH there was a comicon anywhere near me!

This reminds me that I have to look up some Renaissance festivals this summer. It's been a couple of years...

Do you dress up?

Speaking of renaissance festivals; I love hearing stories about guys who flip out because of things like fudge being sold at festivals. "There was no fudge in those days!" :D

Chiptunes ftw! I listen to them quite often. Nullsleep, Virt, Rushjet1 and several others are my favorites. However I don't really enjoy vocals over chiptunes like mega ran, but each to their own. Used to use last.fm before they went paid as they had tons of artists on there but now I just mostly listen to stuff on youtube or kohina.com.
I haven't played with it much lately but I used to do stuff with several trackers and lsdj which I have on a gb cart. I also modded my GBC to have stereo outs... fun stuff. :)
Anyhow cool to see some other 8-bit fans in here.

Chiptunes ftw! I listen to them quite often. Nullsleep, Virt, Rushjet1 and several others are my favorites. However I don't really enjoy vocals over chiptunes like mega ran, but each to their own. Used to use last.fm before they went paid as they had tons of artists on there but now I just mostly listen to stuff on youtube or kohina.com.
I haven't played with it much lately but I used to do stuff with several trackers and lsdj which I have on a gb cart. I also modded my GBC to have stereo outs... fun stuff. :)
Anyhow cool to see some other 8-bit fans in here.

Oh yeah. One of my favorite chiptunes artists is a guy by the name of Bit Shifter. His stuff is awesome.

I actually create some of my own chiptunes and I'm working on finishing up a full length release. I use Logic Pro 9 and a sampler instrument, so I'm more of a programmer than a performer. However, I'm debating on getting another electronic drum kit or not and if I do I'll just remove the drums from my recordings and play to the music bed with the electric drum kit. I can set it up to trigger the 8-bit samples I've created.

See, I'm a nerd and I know it. :D

BTW, Here's one of my songs.

My wife used to do LARP, mostly vampire games in the local parks. We've been going to SciFi cons for years. I enjoy the costuming. This is Kellie at BayCon last year. I was the 99% Mad Hatter.

IMG_5723.JPG

Almost went to a FurCon 10 years ago, but I got totally creeped out in the registration line.

Do you dress up?

Speaking of renaissance festivals; I love hearing stories about guys who flip out because of things like fudge being sold at festivals. "There was no fudge in those days!" :D

I have not yet. I might some day if I can collect enough stuff. But there is a difference in faires. Some allow a certain fantasy element as long as it's Sci-fi oriented and in which case fudge could actually have existed.

Others are *more or less* only interested in what people from our history might have worn and try and keep the fantasy and sci-fi out of it.

I mostly just enjoy walking around eating old food and drinking old soda and beer and watching the performers and checking out the wares.

As a former Civil War reenactor, I gotta say I have 0 right to judge anyone for having fun, no matter how weird, so long as everyone involved is aware of whats going on and (in most cases) of legal age. The furry stuff is something I TOTALLY don't get... but then I don't get why people get excited over 9+ innings of men in pajamas trying to get home, so what do I know.

Of course, there is a big difference between putting a 15 year old girl in a hoop skirt and taking her to a reenactment because you dont want to leave her back home where her boyfriend is and putting her in a cosplay french maid outfit... you get my meaning.

My point is, I do get a chuckle out of comicon people who take it to extremes, but at the same time I kind of feel like "good for you! you rock that freak flag!"

Oh yeah. One of my favorite chiptunes artists is a guy by the name of Bit Shifter. His stuff is awesome.

I actually create some of my own chiptunes and I'm working on finishing up a full length release. I use Logic Pro 9 and a sampler instrument, so I'm more of a programmer than a performer. However, I'm debating on getting another electronic drum kit or not and if I do I'll just remove the drums from my recordings and play to the music bed with the electric drum kit. I can set it up to trigger the 8-bit samples I've created.

See, I'm a nerd and I know it. :D

BTW, Here's one of my songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzltSwRP_L8

I've heard bit shifter before, sounds good I'll look into it some more.
Your track is really cool lots of influence there from different things I can tell. Nice to hear that you're putting an album together I've been contemplating going back and working on some music. Programming projects, work, school, kid and the daily monotony all take their toll though. :cross:
I personally am not too fond of using samplers and multi track software but if it gets the job done it's all good. Being that you are more of a programmer than a performer tracking should be naturally something you would enjoy as you pretty much program the sound chip. If you use windows you should give FamiTracker a go it's fun.

Here is a video of it in use, this guy does covers of all sorts of game music, this one is a cover of mega man 10 wily stage 2:

He also has a decent tutorial on how to use it in his channel. :rockin:

Used to frequent the San Diego Comicon every year. Now it's too crowded with smelly nerds. All my friends are nerds, but there is a level beyond standard nerddom.

The furry stuff is something I TOTALLY don't get...

I hear a lot of them are gay males. Up next is bi males. Then something called pansexual and still mostly male. The pans claim they don't identify gender like hetero, gay and bi sexuals do. The pan furries go further to say they do not, at least while "in character", identify sexuality on a human only level.

A great many of the them, most of them by far, also say it is not about bestiality. It's about the anamorphic representation.

I don't totally get it either. It interests me in the way fringe things do.

I've heard bit shifter before, sounds good I'll look into it some more.
Your track is really cool lots of influence there from different things I can tell. Nice to hear that you're putting an album together I've been contemplating going back and working on some music. Programming projects, work, school, kid and the daily monotony all take their toll though. :cross:
I personally am not too fond of using samplers and multi track software but if it gets the job done it's all good. Being that you are more of a programmer than a performer tracking should be naturally something you would enjoy as you pretty much program the sound chip. If you use windows you should give FamiTracker a go it's fun.

Here is a video of it in use, this guy does covers of all sorts of game music, this one is a cover of mega man 10 wily stage 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AksQtX5KnuQ

He also has a decent tutorial on how to use it in his channel. :rockin:

Nice. I'm working on a Mac though.

Back