Priming with molasses?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnitzengiggle

Reaction score
I have a bottle of certified organic blackstrap molasses that I want to prime my pumpkin ale with, but before I do, I want to know what kind of flavor, if any, the molasses will impart when it is used for priming.

My second choice is Organic Grade B Maple syrup. SWMBO chose the molasses over the maple syrup. I thought maple would be a nice addition along with the pumpkin spices, but SWMBO wanted to try molasses, and I'm not willing to split the batch and try both this go around.

I want this to turn out well, as I will be taking some of this to family in Boston for the holidays. I have never primed with either Maple or Molasses.

Bear in mind that this is a pumpkin ale:

What would you opinion be, Molasses, or Maple Syrup?

What flavors will the Molasses impart when used for priming?

Any thoughts as always are greatly appreciated.:mug:

I'd wuss out and use sugar, since this is beer for an event- I always experiment with stuff I haven't committed to sharing. If not sugar, then maple syrup- all of the sweetness will be gone, so you have that really dark molasses flavor to contend with- would be good in porter, but maybe not a pumpkin ale. The maple syrup could be a nice touch, though.

As much as I love Grade B maple syrup on my waffles, pancakes, etc., I would think that Grade A would be the way to go. Though Grade B would have a concentration of taste going for it, and therefore a potential lower price, Grade A's lighter taste would make its addition harder to overdo, at least for your first attempt.

I could be completely off in my thinking, though.

Molasses has a lot of impurities left over from sugar refining. I've never used it to prime with but I would imaging it could add a little burnt flavor and some astringency if you used too much. Also, the amount of fermentable sugar would be quite a bit less than simply using corn or table sugar so you'd need to use more of it to achieve the desired level of carbonation.

I'd pass and simply use table sugar to prime. Molasses might work with a porter or stout but I don't have a clue how much you would need.

Molasses has a lot of impurities left over from sugar refining. I've never used it to prime with but I would imaging it could add a little burnt flavor and some astringency if you used too much. Also, the amount of fermentable sugar would be quite a bit less than simply using corn or table sugar so you'd need to use more of it to achieve the desired level of carbonation.

I'd pass and simply use table sugar to prime. Molasses might work with a porter or stout but I don't have a clue how much you would need.

I was hoping that some of the "impurities" would lend a je ne sias quio to the brew that wouldn't ruin it.

Maybe I should just go with the regular dextrose for priming, unless someone else has thoughts on priming with molasses.

I've noticed in my reading as a meadmaker that maple is only suggested for the very sweet meads. Why? When the maple finishes out, all that is left of the amazing taste is a smokey, astringent, lingering "blech". Maple needs sugar to taste good, so I would not use it in beer -- unless you're going for the smoked taste.

I wouldn't use either. Molasses, even diluted, can be really up-front, just take a whiff. Maple without a sweet note isn't all that great either.

If SWMBO pushes hard for molasses, use 2 ounces and dextrose for the rest.

I wouldn't use either. Molasses, even diluted, can be really up-front, just take a whiff. Maple without a sweet note isn't all that great either.

If SWMBO pushes hard for molasses, use 2 ounces and dextrose for the rest.

Thanks for the advice, I think I will just expalin to SWMBO that the molasses would be better used in a different brew.

Thanks to everyone else as well, I really appreciate your input!:mug:

I just finished conditioning a beer (Irish Red Ale) with Organic Grade B Maple Syrup in both the boil and as priming. It has an interesting woody flavor, which when combined with the light fusels (yay for heatwave) almost give it a whiskey kick near the end. It's good... really good, but definitely not the delicious maple syrup flavor I was expecting.

I just brewed a porter and added molasses near the end of the boil. It's still in primary so it will be awhile before I get to drink it. Charlie Papazian recommends priming with it (I think he says 1 cup per 5 gal batch). I've read it will impart a harsh flavor at first, but after awhile (like 4 months or so) it mellows out nicely & works with the roasty flavors of a porter.

Hi,

In my extremely humble opinion, I would think that the molasses flavor would be a better match in a pumpkin beer. It would have a richer, deeper, more complex flavor. When examining the flavor pairings, I would vote that maple syrup would argue with the pumpkin more than compliment it, because you are layering a sweet-on-sweet flavor. The molasses would have a slight amount of bitterness (as well as roasted notes) and would contrast the pumpkin. I suppose that all of this might also depend on what other spices or bitterness you might have going on as well... My basis for this opinion is that my grandmother's ancient "secret" recipe for out-of-this-world pumpkin pie calls for blackstrap molasses, and it is frickin' phenomenal. If you do use it, I would agree with the idea of cutting it with another sugar.

As a side note, :tank: <--- These guys are funny. Reminds me of myself in Ypsi last weekend.

Hi,

In my extremely humble opinion, I would think that the molasses flavor would be a better match in a pumpkin beer. It would have a richer, deeper, more complex flavor. When examining the flavor pairings, I would vote that maple syrup would argue with the pumpkin more than compliment it, because you are layering a sweet-on-sweet flavor. The molasses would have a slight amount of bitterness (as well as roasted notes) and would contrast the pumpkin. I suppose that all of this might also depend on what other spices or bitterness you might have going on as well... My basis for this opinion is that my grandmother's ancient "secret" recipe for out-of-this-world pumpkin pie calls for blackstrap molasses, and it is frickin' phenomenal. If you do use it, I would agree with the idea of cutting it with another sugar.

This was my first thought, but since this will be a family brew for the holidays, I am going to play it "safe" this go around.

Come September when pumpkins are in season, I'll take a trip to our local pumpkin patch and pick up some pie pumpkins and incorporate some molasses into the recipe, whether during the boil/flameout or priming I may split the batch and try it with half to see what happens.

This batch that I was looking into priming with molasses will be my first pumpkin beer, so I may need to alter the recipe anyhow.

On a side note, I am going to throw 1 vanilla bean into the secondary, I just hope it isn't overpowering. When I rack to secondary I may add more spices to it as well, depending on the flavor.

It will condition for at least 3 months (until Thanksgiving) before I try the first, and I will be taking about a case of them to Boston for Christmas and NewYear's for family, and I don't want to lose all of the spice flavor.

I just kegged a 6 gallon batch in a 5 gallon keg and I was gonna bottle the balance and prime with molasses. I'm using Mother's Organic unsulfured. I've brewed with molasses quite a bit and I love it in old ales and rich roasty ales like porters and some stouts. I'll let you know how is goes.

Latest posts

Back