Porter vs Dark Mild

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMO, apart from the obvious alcohol/gravity dif., a porter would have a somewhat more pronounced dark malt (chocolate/black/roast) character.

Hmmm... Does a stout have a more pronounced dark roast taste than the porter?

...I've had dark mild and I've had stout but porter is a mystery to me. I'm kind of guessing it's just the in between at this point....

The key to brown porter is "a mild to moderate roastiness (frequently with a chocolate character) and often a significant caramel, nutty, and/or toffee character". Milds should have no roastiness, and darker milds should have very little, although some is acceptable.

Hmmm... Does a stout have a more pronounced dark roast taste than the porter?

Maybe! Some stouts, like sweet stout, have a mild roastiness while others (like dry stout or foreign extra stout) are very roasty.

Robust porter can have a very strong roast as well. So it's not just the amount of roastiness that separates them.

It can certainly be difficult to describe the difference between a lighter bodied stout and a porter... I would say that where a stout, like a dry stout in particular, has a very focused and intense roast character, a porter (and I am talking about 'robust porter' here) will have a round, slightly malty-sweet and open roast character that is considerably less intense... perhaps a good analogy would be the difference between a dark chocolate candy bar and a regular hershey bar. Both are vey chocolatey, but the dark chocolate is more intense. Then, added to the mix, you have the presence of noticeable hop flavor in a porter.

Back