WLP023 vs Wyeast 1275

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nsean

Reaction score
Hello;

I have really been wanting to use WLP023 in a porter, but they keep selling out before I can get any at my local stores, they do however have 1275. I have heard that these are very similar/identical yeasts, but have heard different reviews on them.

I have heard nothing but positive on WLP023, but have read some very mixed reviews on 1275, and would just like some input on the issue. Are these the same yeasts, or is one superior to the other.

Thanks;
Sean

I've used both, but I haven't used the 1275 extensively. I remember getting a muddier aroma out of that one, whereas I get a delicate fruit out of the 023.

YMMV, of course, but I tend to stick with the 023.

So your experience is that 1275 did not turn out too well?

Is there a comparable yeast to 023, producing a mild-moderate fruity profile that would go well in a porter? I prefer this profile in my beers.

I have no experience with 023, but have used 1275 in an ordinary bitter. The aroma and taste are completly different: I get a lot of flower with some berries and fruityness in the nose, but it is layered with some malty/honey notes. No breadiness or tropical fruit.

Taste is very clean and mineral, with the malt playing a major role. Some breadiness and honey are there. It's almost lagerish.

I feel that it is a very complex yeast, but it's not fruity in the "English" sense (ie. heavier mouthfeel, tropical/stone fruit).

Keep in mind that I fermented this pretty low and that the flowery nose is probably due to the liberal amount of Willamette I used at flameout. The description of it in Beersmith is spot on: "Clean, complex flavour. Low in fruit, low in esters, rich in flavour. Hops come through well."

A few batches ago I made a robust porter with 1275, and I'm pretty happy with it. jfr's description above is pretty much the same thing I would say about it. Definite maltiness comes through well, and little or no fruit notes.

Latest posts

Back