For your enjoyment (brewing article)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the link. I thought the writer did an excellent job. Unlike some writers... he actually seemed to understand the process.

Thanks for the link. I thought the writer did an excellent job. Unlike some writers... he actually seemed to understand the process.

I agree for the most part though this made me laugh:

"On a recent brewing day, Lawson’s barn is filled with yeast-scented steam as he brings a batch of IPA to a boil."

For the Maple Nipple, Lawson uses Maine-grown barley, malted in Montréal, to give the beer a toasty flavor.

Does this mean he uses extract?

Does this mean he uses extract?

No, it means the barley is trucked to Montreal, where they roast it (same as malting). Then it just needs to be crushed and mashed by the brewer.

I agree for the most part though this made me laugh:

"On a recent brewing day, Lawson’s barn is filled with yeast-scented steam as he brings a batch of IPA to a boil."

I was just going to mention that!

No, it means the barley is trucked to Montreal, where they roast it (same as malting). Then it just needs to be crushed and mashed by the brewer.

Malting has nothing to do with roasting. Malting is the process of germinating the grain. It breaks down the grain proteins to starches and develops the enzymes that will later turn those starches to sugars in the mash.

Malting has nothing to do with roasting. Malting is the process of germinating the grain. It breaks down the grain proteins to starches and develops the enzymes that will later turn those starches to sugars in the mash.

My mistake. It was way too early to be on HBT this morning! I realized my mistake on the way in to work.

Back