A series of long winded questions from a beginner...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkS29

Reaction score
I live in Panama and I don’t have any local brew shops to get my materials off of therefore I need to order everything and I’m making the leap into home brewing by starting with a coopers kit, now I have some questions seeing as how I don’t want to screw up my first batches and would love to enjoy some nice homebrewed beer instead of the cats piss we get from our local brands (international brands are more expensive ranging from the acceptable to the ridiculous) and I cant exactly just run out and buy more materials I have to order it all before hand I have 3 brews lined up as my first 3 batches and would like to get all my doubts sorted out so I can start of on the right foot.

In regards to the water its more than drinkable here however should I still boil it before using etc? Would distilled water be better seeing as how I might be able to get it from my universities lab (i am a medical student)?

As far as sanitizers go I read about one that seemed to be a foam of sorts that you could leave in without washing out am I just confused or is that a real thing and how recommendable is it for my kit particularly considering my temperature issues I’m worried about the spigot and keeping it clean once I pull it out for bottling. I am also slightly confused as far as just leaving it on there wont it potentially harm my beer’s flavor?

Mr. beer recipes in coopers brew maker kit can I just use the recipes as shipped from Mr. beer and maintain the volume (2 gal.) in the coopers fermentation tank or will the tanks size mean it wont work? Also I wonder are their kits any good since I read about problems with the kits coming from coopers leading to watery beer and things of the sort. I would like a nice rich beer when possible. And the Mr. beer recipes seem like good alternatives while maintaining the cooper’s kit, which from what I understand, is better particularly given its larger nature.

Besides what is included do I need any additional materials for my brewing any instruments or gadgets?

Regarding temperature control is it necessary to maintain it at the 68f range all the time its in the fermenter?

How do I manage the gravity readings I keep reading estimated values how are these calculated the way I understand it its important to get an initial reading just as the wort is at its final liquid volume and stirred up to get a base reading the og if im not mistaken then the fg is useful for comparing one day to say 2 days after that and if there are no changes then it should be done fermenting.

Since I don’t have a secondary vessel for racking how will I work it around my cooling situation in regards to moving all the sediment in the vessel when im taking it out of my cooling container?

Temperature control is it necessary to maintain it at the 68f range all the time its in the fermenter?

Recommended recipes to make preferably without adding grains or hops since I want to keep it simple at first however I’d like some nice very drinkable beer was thinking first a creamy thick Irish stout then a strawberry or cherry flavored beer then a nice English brown ale.
Recommended online supply shop for refills on my materials and eventually hops etc. seeing as how after my third batch I plan on moving on to the more complex end of extract brewing?

Differences in fermentation time per recipe are there any? Say between a stout to an ale?

I also would like to know if its possible to use the regular 340ml glass brown bottles with the coopers carbonation pellets they sell since those seem to be rather useful in comparison to having to mix in the corn syrup etc.

I know its a lot to ask and searching is useful and I have, however sometimes I find my self looking at conflicting replies or situations not quite like the one im in and I just want to make sure it all applies to my case.

Thank you in advance,
Dark

Ok. Start here

Then Go to How to brew.

Then Come back and ask what that didnt answer. Thats just alot to answer that you can learn and retain yourself by reading from those two links

Cheers the second link particularly looks extremely usefull i had browsed throught the first one and other sections of the forum and thats where i got confused with some conflicting instructions. However i think the second link should be good for having a single set of good universal instructions.

Dark

Yeah, I know you think your questions are unique, but they are the same basic questions that have been asked and answered repeatedly on here. There are threads on bottles, temp control, what water to use etc.

Start with the book how to brew that he linked, then look at the threads asking the same questions in the beginners forums. And you'll find the answers.

If there is a thread that "sorta" has the answer you can ask in that thread for a bit more clarification.

You will also find out that there are many different ways of doing things, and they are all the right way, just that different people prefer doing things differently. And you'll be encouraged to try different ways until you find what works best for you.

But what you are basically asking is for us to rewrite all the answers in how to brew and on this forum in one place for you.

I don't want to sound rude, it's not like I don't answer new brewer's questions every day, but you are really asking us to do a lot of re-inventing the wheel, when just about everything you are asking is already here.

Cheers the second link particularly looks extremely usefull i had browsed throught the first one and other sections of the forum and thats where i got confused with some conflicting instructions. However i think the second link should be good for having a single set of good universal instructions.

Dark

It's not necessarily conflicting, it's just that there are many ways to skin the same cat. In brewing, there's not a right or wrong way, it's just a preferred way. There's a saying in brewing, "Ask 10 different brewers a question and you'll get 12 different answers...and they will all be right."

Ultimately you are just going to have to start, and try a few things, and with each batch try new things until you create YOUR unique brewing process.

And that just comes from reading, and mostly from brewing.\

:mug:

Nope not rude at all i've been around many a forum and know how annoying what i did can be. My main concern was related to the extreme weather we have over here since i easily get 34c-36c high temps with lows hitting 28 degrees celsius if i'm lucky. Hence all my questions seeing as how i need to order out everything i need and it might take a week or so to get here i don't want to make my big order and miss 2 items which would delay the whole process of getting started by another week at least.

I appreciate the quick responses and am currently reading the how to brew link.

Cheers,
Dark

Nope not rude at all i've been around many a forum and know how annoying what i did can be. My main concern was related to the extreme weather we have over here since i easily get 34c-36c high temps with lows hitting 28 degrees celsius if i'm lucky. Hence all my questions seeing as how i need to order out everything i need and it might take a week or so to get here i don't want to make my big order and miss 2 items which would delay the whole process of getting started by another week at least.

I appreciate the quick responses and am currently reading the how to brew link.

Cheers,
Dark

You will find tons of threads on temp control on here, every summer there's a dozen threads asking that question a day...no matter what part of the world summer is at, (meaning year round.)

If you search for "swamp coolers" you will see the simplest method that many of us employ.

Much obliged i'll have a look at the swamp coolers. And unfortunately thats what weather is like year round we merely get a summer and a rainy season both equally hot only change is humidity.

Dark

Back