Budvar Recipe Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somerville

Reaction score
Homebrewer_99 posted this recipe awhile back and I have some questions about it:
Budweiser
Budvar
True Budweis lager. Spritzy aroma of hops and gentle fruit.
Quenching, beautifully balanced in the mouth, bitter-sweet
Finish with light vanilla notes.

OG: 1048 / 11.9 Plato

Lager malt (Pilsen):
25 liters – 5,300 gm / 23 liters – 4,900 gm / 5 UK gals – 10.65 lb / 5 US gals – 8.85 lb (approx 5.4 lb DME)

Start of Boil: Saaz hops
25 liters – 50 gm / 23 liters – 45gm / 5 UK gals – 1.5 oz / 5 US gals – .3 oz

Last 15 mins of Boil add Irish Moss
25 liters – 10 gm / 23 liters – 10 gm / 5 UK gals – .35 oz / 5 US gals – .3 oz

Brewing Method: Temperature-stepped infusion or double concoction mash. Bottom working lager yeast.

Mash Schedule:
50C – 20 mins (122F)
60C – 40 mins (140F)
70C – 40 mins (158F)

Boil Time: 90 mins

Racking Gravity: 1011 / 2.7 Plato

Alcohol Content: 5.0% ABV / 4.0% ABW

Bitterness: 20 EBU

Color: 4 EBU

Lager for 3 months.

How come the top says, "Spritzy aroma of hops and gentle fruit." when the only hops added are for bittering? How can it say aroma of hops when there are no aroma hops?

Also, will 5.4 lbs of DME actually end up with 5% alcohol. I would think more like 4%...

Anyone do this recipe?

Thanks!

5.4# of DME will result in about 1.050. If your yeast attenuates this down to 1.010 (guessing lower) your ABV will be 5.26-ish%.

I'll let HB99 defend himself on the "aroma's."

Trust HB99 on this recipe. It looks delicious!

I recognise this from a book called "Brew Classic European Beers at Home" by Wheeler & Protz.

The recipe looks flawless to me... you can still get aroma from a recipe with only bittering hops.

The only thing you'll have to look out for is mash PH if doing an all-grain, seeing as it's only base grain.

Its a misprint on the recipe you posted. The Saaz hop addition for 5US gallons should be 1.3oz.

According to the book, the hops should be added at 90 minutes.

umm... I can't seem to find pilsen DME anywhere. The LHBSs don't seem to carry anything like it... the closest I came to this was a German Pilsner LME from morebeer Here. Will this do?

You are all right. I did mis-type it. Sorry.:eek:

I just checked the book. The hops are 1.3 oz. added at boil then you boil for 90 mins and the .3 oz is Irish Moss.

I didn't translate this, but I think the originator meant to translate "wurzig" which is "spicy" or "aromatic", but not "spritzy". "Sprudeln" (bubble) doesn't work here either.

I don't know when the questions came up so I'll apologize for not getting back sooner. I was on a week-long business trip to DC and just got back this afternoon.

That I know of I have 4 more trips scheduled for the next 6 weeks...on the road again...:D

Back