Revolution Eugene Porter Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drink1121

Reaction score
I am trying to clone the Eugene Porter from Revolution Brewing in Chicago cause I love it so much (its pretty sweet).
From Revolution: "Eugene is a robust porter with 2-row as a base malt, and castle belgian specialty malts munich, caramunich and special B. The key to the deep dark color and chocolate aroma and flavor is breiss dark choc malt.
original gravity = 18.5 plato
ibus = 28
abv = 6.8%
We use magnum for a bittering hop and a bit of centennial at the end of boil."

I need help!! I know what you are about to see is slightly unusual because of amounts of specialty malts, but its pretty sweet and those help with that. Here is the recipe I have thus far.

US 2-Row Malt 9lb 0oz 60.0 %
Belgian Special B 2lb 0oz 13.3 %
UK Munich Malt 1lb 10oz 10.8 %
German CaraMunich II 1lb 6oz 9.2 %
US Dark Chocolate Malt 1lb 0oz 6.7 %

Mashing at 157 to keep sweetness up

US Magnum 16.0 % 1.00 oz 29.7 30 Min From End
US Centennial 8.5 % 1.00 oz 12.4 20 Min From End

Yeast attenuates around 78%

Thoughts?

I'm no pro, but that just looks like it's gonna be way too sweet. I'm from Chicago and have had Eugene several times. It's an awesome Porter.

With the combination of the high mash temp and so many specialty grains, I would think that that would turn out too sweet. At least for my taste. If it were up to me, I would either lower the mash temp to 153-155, and/or take some of the specialty grains out. Maybe only a pound at the most of the Special B.

It's your beer, though. Do what you want.

I'm no pro, but that just looks like it's gonna be way too sweet. I'm from Chicago and have had Eugene several times. It's an awesome Porter.

With the combination of the high mash temp and so many specialty grains, I would think that that would turn out too sweet. At least for my taste. If it were up to me, I would either lower the mash temp to 153-155, and/or take some of the specialty grains out. Maybe only a pound at the most of the Special B.

It's your beer, though. Do what you want.

I took the specialties down to a lb. each and brought 2-row to 10 lbs. Thanks for the input!

drink1121 do you have an update on this?

I was planning on doing a porter next week and was deciding between trying to clone Revolution or doing an Edmund Fitzgerald.

If I were to attempt this clone, I would probably do something like the following, not too much thought put into this but these are percentages that work for my stouts / porters:

US 2-Row Malt : 70%
Belgian Special B : 3%
UK Munich Malt : 15%
German CaraMunich II : 6%
US Dark Chocolate Malt : 6%

Mash around 154 for 60 mins

If I were to attempt this clone, I would probably do something like the following, not too much thought put into this but these are percentages that work for my stouts / porters:

US 2-Row Malt : 70%
Belgian Special B : 3%
UK Munich Malt : 15%
German CaraMunich II : 6%
US Dark Chocolate Malt : 6%

Mash around 154 for 60 mins

I like your thinking here..

I plugged this into brewsmith.. Here is what I am thinking for a partial mash:

5.5 gallons
OG= 1.069
ABV estimate= 6.7%
IBU= 28
Est Color= 31 SRM

7lb Light DME (70%)
1lb Munich Malt (10%)
0.75 Caramunich (7.5%)
0.75 Dark Chocolate (7.5%)
0.50 Special B Malt (5%)
0.55oz Magnum (60min)
1.00oz Centennial(5min)

I like to keep Special B a bit under the 5% mark cuz it's such a potent malt, but I say go for it and let us know how it turns out.

So I'm still going back and forth a bit on whether or not to brew this.

I emailed Revolution with my recipe to see if they could tell me if I was in the ball park or not and they never got back to me.

What I might do is try a few one gallon batches of this out and do it that way. But I really wish there was more out there about this recipe.. it is seriously one of the best porters I have ever had.

They were at least nice enough to give us the list of malts they used as well as the hops. Who knows, maybe they'll send you something back eventually. For now, I'd say the 1 gallon experiment batches sounds like a good idea to hone in on the quantities of each malt

Back