Should I age Stone's Vertical Epic 12.12.12?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdm1982

Reaction score
I recently received Stone's Vertical Epic 12.12.12 in a beer club 6 pack. My first son happened to be born on that date so I had already bought one before (and drank it) to save the bottle for whatever reason. Now, since I've got this 2nd bottle, I was thinking about maybe saving it until he's 21 and we could possibly try it together as his first beer (or at least first beer with his old man). I'm concerned with how it would hold up being aged for 21 years. Would it just be spoiled? I know some beers are better than others when it comes to aging. I plan on putting it in a pantry and keeping it at room temperature.

Or should I just drink it now? It's a complex enough beer that a 21 year old may not even appreciate it anyways...

Sounds like it'd be fun regardless of how well it does or does not age. It's not like its some $100 bottle that you'd hate to ruin.

I would definitely keep it colder than room temp. Most beers I have for aging recommend 55 or below right on the bottle.

agreed with mrshotshot, save it, even if you simply present it to him on his birthday as a gift not to be consumed, but as memorabilia.
If you do intend to consume it, the cooler the better - warmer temps promote faster aging.

Since you drnak one, take some notes and tape them to the unopened one.

Age it, compare. Awesome experiment!

Right on. I'll throw it out in my garage fridge/fermenting cooler. Should keep it considerably colder.

Latest posts

Back