Temperature Control Device: What Are Some Good Options?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HootHootHoot

Reaction score
I am looking to get a temp control device such as a Ranco or Johnson Controls device.

For Example:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/johnson-controls-a419-digital-temp-controller.html

I need something I can plug my refrigerator into, versus something that I need to hardwire into the refrigerator itself.

Right now times are tough for me with frivolous spending (debatable if investment into my home brewery is frivolous- but I've been buying a lot for my set up lately), but I don't want that to keep me from producing some great beers. Also I don't want to wait until later this winter when I will be able to afford to buy something like this.

What are some cheaper options than the link above? I've found some decent Ranco brand devices, but I don't know if those are set up to just have the fridge plug into the device and it turns the fridge on/off accordingly.

Thanks for help

For basic on/off control with temperature input the STC-1000 on ebay is a great option. It reads in Celsius. It will run you about $25 shipped. You can easily mount it in a Radio Shack project box or multi gang box from HD with a double outlet (heat and cold). So all told with the project box and wiring, about $35-40.

helibrewer said:
For basic on/off control with temperature input the STC-1000 on ebay is a great option. It reads in Celsius. It will run you about $25 shipped. You can easily mount it in a Radio Shack project box or multi gang box from HD with a double outlet (heat and cold). So all told with the project box and wiring, about $35-40.

That exactly what I used for my chest freezer and it works perfectly. Plus it's dual stage. It's a quick project and easily half or three times cheaper than a ranco dual stage digital controller

That exactly what I used for my chest freezer and it works perfectly. Plus it's dual stage. It's a quick project and easily half or three times cheaper than a ranco dual stage digital controller

If you ever need additional probes you can get them at www.digikey.com
Part number BC2647-ND, they run about .75 cents each.

I have 4 of these set up, one runs my ferm chamber and the others I use for individual fermentors using a thermowell and a FermWrap heating blanket.

Does the fridge plug directly into this? Or do I need to plug it into the project box? Never don this before so pardon my stupidity. The easier the better, but this price range is right up my ally

My father is an electrical engineer so I would assume he could help me fairly easily, but I just don't want something that I gave to take the fridge apart. It's a normal refrigerator I am using and I don't want to mess it up

Latest posts

Back