Pitch high krausen or crash cool starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eastside Brewer

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been answered already, but I am brewing today. I have 1 vile of yeast in 3500ml starter since Wednesday. Yesterday it was full krausen, today it has fallen to about 1/4". Can I take it off stir plate now and crash cool for a pitch later tonight? Or would it be better to keep it on the plate and pitch the whole thing? the beer is a 1.056 OG APA.

Thanks,

Eastside

I crash cool, then pour off the starter beer and pitch the remaining yeast. I don't like the starter beer in my main batch.

I'd crash cool it and judge before pitching how much has crashed to the bottom. 3500ml is a lot of starter to pitch, however you could also taste it and if it tastes good then not worry about the pitch.

Thanks Guys, I think I will crash cool, I hope 6 -8 hours is enough to get it to crash out of suspension??

Eastside

That should be plenty of time. You made an epic sized starter for a moderate OG batch, so even if you don't get all the yeast out of suspension you should still have plenty in the cake on the bottom of the flask.

Yeah, I guess I should have mentioned that it is a 11 gallon batch. Mr. Malty confused me slightly because it said to use 1 vile in 4000ml starter or 2 viles in a 1600ml starter, still trying to wrap my mind around the whole starter thing.

Eastside

Back