Plinian legacy - How long to leave it be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tranesblues

Reaction score
Just curious. This is my 4th overall brew. All went great and it is in the primary. Pitched right at 77 degrees. So far, I have left all my beers alone with their thoughts in the primary for 3 weeks and then bottled (two weeks in the bottle). I am wondering if I should follow that schedule for the Plinian Legacy from NB. I ask only because it has two dry hops (14 and 4 days from bottle) and I want to give those the appropriate amount of time. Anyone who has done this one, I appreciate the input. For those unfamiliar, here is the hop schedule.

.25oz Amarillo pre-boil
10ML hop shot (injected hop oil)- 90 min
1 oz Columbus- 45 min
1 oz Simply blend - 20 min
1.5 oz centennial/2.5oz Simply blend - flame out (15 min hop stand)

Dry hop schedule:

1.5 oz Columbus/1 oz centennial/1 oz Simply Blend - 10 days
.5 oz Columbus/.5 oz Simply blend/ .25 oz centennial/.25 oz Amarillo- 4 days

77 is way too hot for the yeast. I hope you are fermenting cooler than that.

The recipe says 4 to 6 weeks before bottling. I think I would follow that schedule. You can add the hops to the primary, and do it all in one vessel if you want to.

I am fermentimg at about 68. I pitched it high. Just curious but what are the consequences if I were to ferment that high? Certain flavors? Or killing the yeast? Thanks for the info.

High fermentation temperatures will result in flavors being produced by the yeast, usually undesirable, and the creation of fusel alcohols.

If you're not in a hurry I'd start dry hopping at 3 weeks, cold crash and then keg/bottle. As long as your final gravity matches your target you'll be fine. This beer should be consumed fresh due to the massive hop aroma that fades...

Awesome. Thanks guys. One more thing. I know that fermentimg high gives some off flavors but I dont yet recognize off flavors when I drink. What would this particular one resemble in terms of taste?

Fermenting high will create ester flavors. It all depends on the strain as to what flavors a high ferm temp would create.

Assuming you don't have a ferm control, I'd say you want the room temp pretty low. Like 60-64. Ferm is going to add maybe 6-10 degrees of heat to the actual liquid temp once the vigorous fermentation begins. Making sure it doesn't get bigger than 70 is key.

Get a bucket big enough to put your fermenter in. Fill it with water and use ice cubes to keep the actual temp inside the fermenter down below 70

There are ton of threads on this. Some people call this technique the swamp cooler. You can find vids on YouTube if you want a good example.

I am using that method you described with a 20 gal trashcan and aquarium heater to keep a constant temp. I try to keep the water bath at 58-60 degrees. Currently researching a ferm chamber to gain more control. Thanks for the help.

Back