Reusing Commercial Twist-Off Caps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gruntingfrog

Reaction score
OK, I've seen a lot of reference to using twist-off bottles (about 50-50 for and against) with pop-top caps, but I've never seen anybody mention reusing the original commercial twist-off caps. Has anyone tried reusing the commercial twist-off caps with the corresponding bottles? I have about a case of bottles with the original twist-off caps and want to know if I should bother using them with my first batch of home brew.

If nobody has ever tried using the original twist-off caps with their original bottles, I'll have to test it and let you know if it works.

It's not the price of bottle caps that are the issue here. The fact is a lot of people prefer the ability to screw off the cap. This and the fact that the beer that my wife likes comes in twist-off bottles (hence I have an excuse to accumulate a number of them) makes this an experiment that could save me money.

This of course is... :rockin:

Twist-off caps require very precise crimping to seal. I doubt just twisting them back on is even possible. One can always try, but do it on a real ale (one that tastes good flat).

The caps are the same for both types of bottles. It is the precision needed to get the cap on correclty and the fact that the screw top bottles tend to be more brittle at the top, thus increasing the chance of breakage.

I talked to the guy at my LHBS and he said that he has tried reusing the original caps and just screwing them back on. It doesn't work. He got no seal and had a case of flat beer (luckily he only used these for half the batch, so he didn't lose the whole thing).

Thanks for all the input, guys. I have my answer now.

Back