Session/Fractional RyePA (Partial Mash)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobvillain

Reaction score
Note: I call this a Session Rye IPA, but I know it doesn't really fit into any real category. It's just exactly what I was going for: hoppy and low alcohol with a bit of rye spicyness.

I've been brewing lots of sessions so I have beer to drink on Saturdays in the fall. With as much beer as I like to drink watching football, I'd be completely hammered by early afternoon and miss half of it if I was drinking normal IPAs. I used to just drink Coors Light or something; but now I can brew my own! I can drink this one all day long and love the hell out of every one.

Session RyePA 5 gallon batch

8.0 oz Carapils
8.0 oz Caramel Wheat Malt
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal 10L
8.0 oz Rye Malt
0.5 oz Amarillo FWH
1.25 lbs Light Dry Extract
0.5 oz Simcoe - Boil 60min
0.5 oz Citra - Boil 20 min
3.5 lbs Rye Liquid Extract - Boil 15 min
0.5 oz Australian Galaxy - Boil 15 min
0.5 oz Citra - Boil 10 min
0.5 oz Amarillo - Boil 5 min
0.5 oz Galaxy at flameout

Beersmith says 88 IBUs. I got the OG down to 1.035, FG was 1.007.
Left it in the fermenter for 2 weeks. The stuff I'm drinking now was in bottles for another 2 more. I just bottled some that was in a secondary for a couple weeks dry hopped with 0.5 oz of Galaxy for 5 days. It's probably going to be even better. I'm addicted to Galaxy.

Notes:
I partial mash as in this thread. I throw my FWH in during the last 10 minutes of a 30 min steep. Then I do the teabag sparge method for 10 minutes before starting the boil.
My boil usually starts at about 3.5 gallons and ends with about 2.5 to 3.
Then I add water to get the volume up and hit my target FG.

I'm an apartment brewer, and SWMBO is allergic to wheat, so she leaves the house for a few hours every other weekend or so and I get to brew. As such, I only do partial mash and partial boil.

I've been lurking here for a while, but never had anything to really contribute; there's so much information already here! But this recipe turned out so awesome I had to share.

Back