Muntons Marris Otter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I took a drive up to the Gaslight brewpub in Northern NJ because they said they had a 55lb sack of MO in stock for $43 (nice price for this area).

It wasn't until I got home did I realize the sticker that said "best used before March 2007". Dammit. It's only bad for me because I won't use this up for about 6 months.

Anyway, the real question I had was if anyone used Muntons and how they liked it say compared to Crisp or other.

I always use Muntons, and find it great. I can'y compare it against Crisp or other because, as I said, I always use Muntons.
I also get mine locally from a store that has pretty good turn-over (at least on grains), so I've never got something beyond its use by date. In fact, I've always used it by the use by date.
I bought some a few weeks ago, and was shocked that the price had risen from $34 to $41 per bag. Methinks I might go for a bulk purchase with some friends if prices continue to rise/

-a.

I never used Muntons. The LHBS I really respect steered me away from it and into Crisp. I am sure it is a good malt, but I will stick with Crisp.

Stupid question: I bought some generic Muntons pale malt at the LHBS -is this generally MO? Or does Muntons sell "generic" and "MO" pale malt. Just curious.

-Aaron

aaronlawson said:
Stupid question: I bought some generic Muntons pale malt at the LHBS -is this generally MO? Or does Muntons sell "generic" and "MO" pale malt. Just curious.

-Aaron
Muntons sells generic 2-row pale malt, and Maris Otter pale malt, with a significant difference in price. At least that is what my LHBS had. Picked up a 25kg bag for $46. A little expensive but I save the cost of shipping.
Craig

Expect prices to rise significantly. In GWB's infinite wisdom of promoting alcohol for fuel farmers are switching to corn and growing less barley, soy etc.

Wow, I guess I made out like a bandit on my MO purchase. I took adavntage of a bulk buy through a friend of mine's homebrew club down in Oregon. I got a 55lb bag of Marris Otter for $26.50 and a 55lb bag of Golden Promise for $33.00

Nice prices on the MO.
I got a sack for $53, Bairds MO here. First I ever heard of a Best before date on grain though.
Grain kept cool and packaged so that moisture and oxygen don't affect it will last for many years as long as you don't crush it.

Back