WLP400 flavors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtkratzer

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here's the recipe of a beer I recently bottled and then tasted on Sunday after 2 weeks:

3.3 lb. Wheat LME
2 lb. Wheat DME

Very mini mash:
1 lb. Pale Malt (2-row)
.5 lb. Wheat
.5 lb. Oats

1 oz Willamette 4.7% Bittering
1 oz Sterling 6.0% Flavoring

1 lbs of honey late in the boil
bitter orange peel and coriander 15 minutes

WLP400 with a simple starter

Fermented between 68-74. Can't remember exactly, but I remember it was during a warm spell and I didn't worry about it as the LHBS said WLP400 is tolerant of temps up to around 80*. Primaried for about 5-6 weeks or so as I was waiting the majority of that time for the krausen to drop.

I'm stating this thread because I went to the LHBS last night and they have some of their recipes brewed and on tap to sample. Their Belgian Wit tastes absolutely nothing like mine and has a similar ingridient list. Their beer tastes like a wheat with the typical banana and clove flavors. I forgot to ask what yeast they used, but my beer has a lot of citrus, almost sour taste to it. It's fantastic and was the favorite of the six beers I had in the fridge that I brewed (there was also some commerical beers). It has a little sweetness from the honey and then it's a bit tart and citrusy. It's very refreshing and I'm hoping I can repeat this brew. The color is a bright orange/golden color. I'll get a picture when I crack the next one open, but that probably won't be until Thursday when I brew with my sister's boyfriend.

I'm curious as to the results others are getting with this yeast.

I brewed a Wit a few months back using an all grain version with WLP400 and there was no banana or clove flavors. I'm typically not a Wit fan, but I have to say that this was one of my favorite brews and one that I will be brewing again with perhaps some slight variations to it.

I brewed a Wit a few months back using an all grain version with WLP400 and there was no banana or clove flavors. I'm typically not a Wit fan, but I have to say that this was one of my favorite brews and one that I will be brewing again with perhaps some slight variations to it.

Did you get similar flavors using WLP400 as I described?

It's been almost 10 years since I've been to Belgium and I haven't had a Belgian beer since then that I can think of, so I really wasn't sure what to expect.

I went to the LHBS asking for a beer that's an easy-drinking summer beer that still has some flavors to it. I wasn't looking for a cream ale or really light ale. I wanted something my wife and I would both enjoy as she's not a huge fan of hefes and really doesn't care for IPAs, two of my favorites. One of the guys there recommended a Wit style and to add honey to it.

I just wanted to confirm that this was the way it was supposed to taste and after looking at the description on White Labs site for WLP400, it sounds like I nailed.

Yes, I also detected some citrus in mine, but I don't know about the sour part. I remember thinking it was a very refreshing brew that would be great on a hot summer day! I did a couple things different than you did. For instance, I didn't add any honey and I used Saaz hops throughout. I am guessing mine came out more pale than yours due to the all grain factor. You can see an image of it in my gallery. Other than that, it sounds like it came out how it should of. Although, I imagine the honey added a slight difference to the flavor that wouldn't be present in mine.

sjbeerman said:
Yes, I also detected some citrus in mine, but I don't know about the sour part. I remember thinking it was a very refreshing brew that would be great on a hot summer day! I did a couple things different than you did. For instance, I didn't add any honey and I used Saaz hops throughout. I am guessing mine came out more pale than yours due to the all grain factor. You can see an image of it in my gallery. Other than that, it sounds like it came out how it should of. Although, I imagine the honey added a slight difference to the flavor that wouldn't be present in mine.

I just brewed a batch with 6.6 lbs Pilsen, 1/2 lbs of Belgian Aromatic, 2 oz Saaz, lemon peel, sweet orange peel, and WLP400. I'm hoping for another awesome beer with this one.

My sister's boyfriend has a mix of wheat and Pilsen, bitter orange, lemon peel, 2 oz Saaz, and US-05 to brew this week.

Should make some decent beers.

Have a mothership wit clone fermenting with wl400 right now 36 hours in at 71. Heard mixed information about sulfur. Some have said ferment higher to avoid sulfur wl pdf posted above says higher temps will throw more sulfur. Which is it?

WLP400 throws sulfur sometimes, but it always blows out after a week or two, so just ignore. Lager yeasts, hefe yeasts and others throw sulfur, but honestly who cares, unless you're trying to drink those beers within a week or two of pitching. Cider smells absolutely AWEFULL from the sulfur it throws too.

Thanks for the reply. I usually primary for three to four weeks and keg for ten days to two weeks before drinking. Airlock was going like a machine gun for hours 12 through 48. Now has slowed and cooled to 68F and a burp every three seconds. Trying to stay in that 68 to 71 range.

Was going to take a gravity reading this morning as airlock has slowed to almost nothing. Going out of town for two weeks and think I will just leave it be and take one when i get back. Other posts on this yeast being finicky have me a little concerned I may have a stuck fermentation as this thing was fermenting like crazy the first 50 hours and appeared to go dead quickly. I swirled/roused the yeast and did not notice any additonal activity. Any chance that it fermented out that quickly? I know relax, have a homebrew right...

Fairly high for grain bill. 5 lbs maris otter, 5 lbs flaked wheat. Pre boil was 1.048, post boil 1.058. Mashed at 155F. Pitched two vials with a use by date if October 8, 2011; so had plenty of yeast for a 5 gallon batch.

WLP400 is a crazy strain. I had to attach a blow off one week in. I'd leave it for the two extra weeks and check. It tends to stop and start.

Back