Replace Burner or Buy New Kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FensterBos

Reaction score
I've been using my turkey deep fryer burner for brewing (only the burner, not the pot as well). Generally it does a great job, but I feel like I get a lot of yellow flame from it and after a 60 minute boil the pot has a ton of soot on the bottom of it. I don't know what the cause of this might be, but I would like to get a cleaner burn going.
It was a cheaper model and I've had it for almost five years now. Is it time to get a complete upgrade or should I just try to replace the burner?
My current model (I think): http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Original-ou...693?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item255fb7528d

Yellow flame has to do with the amount of oxygen going to the burner. I would try adjusting the oxygen going in and dial it down till you get a blue flame before going out and buying a new one.

How does one adjust the amount of oxygen going into the burner, clean out the jets, venturi tube, "all that stuff"?
There is a air vent, similar to what a Weber charcoal grill has on the lid, close to where the propane hose meets the burner. However, I've tried closing it and that hasn't fixed the problem.

On mine, there is a cover that attaches to the burner and the hose coming off the propane tank goes into it. It has slots where oxygen is sucked in, by making these larger or smaller you can adjust how much oxygen is flowing in. In this link, the pics show the piece on the end of the burner (where the hose goes in). http://www.winning-homebrew.com/Propane-Burners.html

Simply check all the burner pieces. Make sure there aren't any blockages. Get some pipe cleaners, test tube brushes, something. The burners are pretty simple. If you get fuel, oxygen and can add a spark, they should work. My guess is something is clogged.

On mine, there is a cover that attaches to the burner and the hose coming off the propane tank goes into it. It has slots where oxygen is sucked in, by making these larger or smaller you can adjust how much oxygen is flowing in. In this link, the pics show the piece on the end of the burner (where the hose goes in). http://www.winning-homebrew.com/Propane-Burners.html

My burner is pretty much the same or exactly like the one pictured at the top of the URL. I can try pulling it off the stand and giving it a cleaning as recommended. Is it difficult to do something like that?

My burner is pretty much the same or exactly like the one pictured at the top of the URL. I can try pulling it off the stand and giving it a cleaning as recommended. Is it difficult to do something like that?

Ya, so adjust that piece of metal with the two screws until you get a blue flame. That is what regulates the O2 going into the burner. They don't come set up properly so you have to do it yourself.

Ya, so adjust that piece of metal with the two screws until you get a blue flame. That is what regulates the O2 going into the burner. They don't come set up properly so you have to do it yourself.

Thats the piece of metal I've already tried adjusting. I think I'll try to clean and fix it on Friday; if I can't get a blue flame I'll try replacing the burner or getting a completely new stand.
Thanks!

Back