cold crashing without the cold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SFBEER

Reaction score
I had to dump 5 gallons of cider last week because I bought the wrong cider and it wouldn't ferment. Not being the type to give up I bought 5 more gallons of the correct preservative free cider and it has been fermenting up a storm since.

I want to make a sweet cider but have been doing this on the down low so SWMBO doesn't know about as a surprise for a party we are throwing for her and her sister who both LOVE cider.

I would love to cold crash at 1010 but don't have a freezer or fridge big enough to get the carbouy in. I would use the laundry room sink with cold water and ice but then I would blow the surprise. Is there a way to settle out the yeast without it sitting in a cold bath for a couple of days? What about that stuff that I've used to clear wine? Will that settle out the yeast or will my yeasties just laugh at it?

I have some apfelwein about ready to be transfered. I am going to cold crash it outside as I dont have the equipment needed to do so otherwise. You are in Canada. It has to be cold there. Why not hide it outside for a while? Don't forget it though.

It's cool outside but not what I would consider cold. I will try to keep it in a clean garbage can that we haven't used for anything yet and hiding it in the garage for a day or so.

Someone w/ experience will chime in but there are additives that will stop the fermentation. That's if you're serving it flat. Its a whole different issue if you're trying to make a carbonated sweet cider.

Don't think he's worried about cloudiness, he's trying to stop it from going dry.

When is the party? Are you trying to bottle carb this, or just have a still/sweet cider?

Bottle carbing + sweet = potential bottle bombs. If you have time, you can let it run dry then sorbate/sulfite and backsweeten with some additional cider/juice/honey. You can also forego the sorbate/sulfite and backsweeten with some non-fermentables like splenda.

An alternative to cold crashing is multiple rackings, but it's not quite as reliable. if you rack it out a little higher than 1.010, then let it go a little and rack again, you might end up racking most of the viable yeasties right out and shocking what's left into a painful death. This, of course, isn't necessarily reliable and could cause your shocked yeast to develop some off flavors.

I'd recommend going fully dry and backsweetening if you have the time.

It's cool outside but not what I would consider cold. I will try to keep it in a clean garbage can that we haven't used for anything yet and hiding it in the garage for a day or so.

According to the weather it will get down to 5 C overnight. If that isnt cold enough for a cold crash, I don't know what is.

Ah good call never mind about my earlier comment.

To kill the yeast use a large dose of Potassium Metabisulfate. Should be available at any HBS. This may not kill all of them but if you are planning on drinking this soon then it should work out. It will not be sparkling as you would have to add more yeast and that would make it ferment dry anyway. You can also find stabilizer/sweetener for wine. This contains Potassium Sorbate which will not kill yeast but sterilize them, it also contains a sweetener that I think is un-fermentable.

Back