Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cd2448

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA yesterday, and was wondering about procedure for dry hopping. I'm intending to add pellets to the secondary after the move from primary - is that right? Can I just drop them in there? I don't want to risk contamination and oxidation - do I put the pellets in secondary and rack the beer over it? Or do I throw the pellets in after racking?

(not sure if this should be in beginners section, but here goes)

I usually throw the pellets right into secondary and then filter when I rack out of secondary. You can just put something like cheese cloth, stainless braid, or bazooka screen over your siphon. You won't contaminate your beer by adding hops...

The first thing to consider is how long you want the hops in your beer.

The micro I just spent half a day at dry hop their fermenters during the last 5 days (called “5-Day IPA”). The length of time will be a trial and error, but 5-7 days should get you the desired effect.

When siphoning, I do what Soulive21 suggested…using a mesh strainer (paint strainer from Lowe’s) around the end of the cane:

Hopstopper_2.jpg

Hopstopper_3.jpg

I do it the other way, I attatch a grain bag to the output end of my syphon and let it catch any hop debris.

Stainless steel herb balls from a kitchen supply store work well. You can also find them at Home brew store labled hop balls.

I made my own out of 2 each stainless steel wire mesh sink strainer (Wal- Mart or Target) and wired them together with a couple of small pieces of copper wire.

But I don't use carboy's as secondaries, I use cornie kegs or other vessels that have large openings.

Yeah, I'd recommend buying a corny for secondary even if you think kegging is a ways off for you. It's a great secondary vessel that allows putting dryhop into mesh bags or tea balls.

abracadabra said:
Stainless steel herb balls from a kitchen supply store work well. You can also find them at Home brew store labled hop balls.

I made my own out of 2 each stainless steel wire mesh sink strainer (Wal- Mart or Target) and wired them together with a couple of small pieces of copper wire.

But I don't use carboy's as secondaries, I use cornie kegs or other vessels that have large openings.

I've wanted to try those things. Maybe I'll just make some as well...

Back